Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Road Trip: Birding in Costa Rica

COSTA RICA | Thursday, 13 October 2016 | Views [281]

The Birding Bible of CR, by our own Richard

The Birding Bible of CR, by our own Richard

WE LEFT OUR RV AT THE KOA CAMPGROUND in Ft. Mill, SC, just across the border from Charlotte and spent the night at the Ramada.  The night’s stay included free parking for three weeks and a shuttle to and from the airport, cheaper by far than even long-term parking.  It’s the tag end of hurricane season and we have to fly through Miami, so we left some wiggle room on either side of the birding trip which doesn’t officially begin until Friday.  Luckily, Hurricane Mathew pushed through a few days ago but better safe than sorry, right?

Emanuel was waiting for us at the San Jose airport and spirited us to Hotel Robeldal where we will spend the next couple of nights and meet up with the rest of the tour.  Andrea, Colorado friends Tim and Candice’s ex-pat daughter, joined us for lunch at the hotel despite the heavy downpour.  She has lived and worked in Costa Rica for several years and recently purchased a small “finca” on the Osa Peninsula.  It was nice to catch up again even though we saw her in March in Trinidad. 

bb

    Rockjumpers all

More of our group dribbled in during the evening including Forest, a full-time Rockjumper employee and a birding guide.  Joel and Kathy live in Salt Lake City and Tim and KK are from Reno.  Kevin and Susan came all the way from Melbourne.  Peter and Leigh, the other Australians with African roots, arrived this morning with Richard, our other guide.  Richard is an American who has lived in Costa Rica for 35 years.  While Forest turned out to be excellent at finding and identifying birds, Richard wrote the book on birding in Costa Rica.  Literally.  He is the author of “Birds of Costa Rica,” now in its second edition.

 

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.