Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

The Arctic: Prince Leopold Island

CANADA | Sunday, 21 August 2016 | Views [279]

Narwhale pod (male has unicorn horn)

Narwhale pod (male has unicorn horn)

PRINCE LEOPOLD ISLAND IS ONE OF the most significant bird sanctuaries in the the Canadian Arctic, home to hundreds of thousand thick-billed murres, black guillemots, northern fulmars and black-legged kittiwakes.  The problem is, if you’ve seen one black guillemot, you’ve seen them all.  And we have.  Besides, yesterday’s weather was terrible.  Nor did the narwhal, bowhead or beluga whales appear.

Today was better.  

bb

   Nesting kittiwakes

After a visit to the former Hudson’s Bay Company fur trading outpost, we prepared to negotiate the narrow Beloit Strait.  Aaron played up the danger in passing through such a narrow strait with currents of ten miles per hour, and I am sure the Captain was on the bridge.  I didn’t look too risky to us, nothing like running Lava Falls in the Grand Canyon.  And obviously we made it.

bb

   The Captain is on the Bridge

About halfway through we spotted a pod of narwahl, several hundred yards off and moving fast.  Between the rocking of the ship and the wind, photography was pretty challenging.  My shots show narwhals if you know what you’re looking for and in one you can imagine the male’s unicorn horn.

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.