Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Catching Up: Minnesota and Michigan

USA | Wednesday, 3 August 2016 | Views [242]

Our holy grail, Kirtland's warbler

Our holy grail, Kirtland's warbler

TO GET FROM NORTH DAKOTA TO MICHIGAN, the road passes through Minnesota.  ‘Nuff said?  Besides, the Twins were at home and we’ve never seen them play.  Along the way you somehow have to cross Ole Man River, the Mississippi.  But if you play your cards right, you can find a spot to wade across without getting your shorts wet.  Not so mighty, are you, ole man?

n

   Wading across the Mississippi

Generally it takes a family reunion combined with a ration of guilt for Connie to return to Michigan.  This time it was a tiny, endangered bird.  Kirtland’s warblers are found in few places in the world, and Northern Michigan happens to be their breeding ground.  It took some searching, a tip by a local Mom, and the Audubon bird call ap on Connie’s phone but we finally saw — and photographed — the cute little bugger.  Another tick on the way to 4000.

 

mm     mm

 

   Back in time at Greenfield Village

 

While we were in the neighborhood . . . .  Connie had wonderful childhood memories of Greenfield Village, an homage to and from Henry Ford.  Things in adulthood seldom live up to our younger memories but Greenfield Village still cuts the mustard.  And we needed both of the two-day admission.  Not to be missed if you find yourself in Detroit.  

nn     n

  Target Field, home of the Twins          The new Tiger Stadium 

Oh, yeah.  The Tigers were in town hosting the Astros.

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.