Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Catching Up: Colorado and the Dakotas

USA | Thursday, 30 June 2016 | Views [251]

John lands a lunker, Grape Creek

John lands a lunker, Grape Creek

MAY SEEMED LIKE A SAFE TIME to return to Colorado, the place we think of as Home.  But the nearer we got, the colder it grew and we arrived at Buckley Air Force Base under gray skies with flurries.  We were the only campers who had the foresight to disconnect the water lines — remember Wilcox, AZ? — in the sub-freezing temperatures.  Maybe spring was late this year or perhaps we returned prematurely but between doctors, dentists, accountants and such, we had a lot to take care of.  And friends to visit, of course.

We grabbed some essential goodies from our storage unit when we set off in the RV last November, leaving much behind.  Too much, as it turns out.  We donated a couple of loads to the Thrift Shop, our fifth downsizing and we are sure there is at least another round to go.  In a country where so many have too much, we are working downwards towards “just enough.”  And we’re almost there. 

Nn

    Rocky Mountain Elk Herd

We visited with the “usual suspects,” Tim and Candice, John and Marie and traveled up to Estes Park to see old friends, Emmett and Marsha, where winter still held the Rockies in its grasp.  It was great to do some trout fishing and kayaking with John but the altitude at Westcliffe kicked my arse.  Back in Denver the Baseball Rockies were in fine form.  After five years without, baseball was a pleasant treat — win or lose.

   Home tean advantage, Coors Field

Before we knew it it was the middle of June and we had reached our 45-day maximum at Buckley.  We had “plans” to be in Minot, ND for the Fourth so it was time to move on.  Besides, we really should spend some time in our new home state, South Dakota and renew our vehicle tags.  And on the way we could stop in Scotts Bluff, NE for a look at the Oregon Trail and Chimney Rock.

BB     NN

   Oregon Trail, Scotts Bluff                  Chimney Rock

Spending time in South Dakota isn’t as bad as you might think.  Besides Mt. Rushmore and Wind Cave, there is Rapid City, Custer State Park and, for the two-wheelers, Sturgis.  

NN

   Bison, Custer State Park

There are also relics of the Cold War on the South Dakota prairie — those ICBM silos that deterred the Soviets “in the day” and continue to be effective against the Russians.  Connie’s first husband, John One, was stationed in one of the operation centers whose history is on display at Minuteman Missle National Monument.

BB     NN

  Missle silo, Minuteman NM                 Duck and Cover

We first met Liz in Christchurch, New Zealand when she returned from her seventh summer in Antarctica.  Then we searched her out when the Great Race, a marathon of antique cars, passed through Colorado a few years later.  Well, the Race was stopping in Rapid City and — surprise — Liz was again officiating.  We caught up briefly over Diet Cokes before she had to turn in.  Sleeping, it seems, is not an option.

BB

    The Great Race, Rapid City

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.