Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Cuffie River Lodge

TRINIDAD & TOBAGO | Saturday, 27 February 2016 | Views [274]

Ruby topaz hummingbird, Tobago

Ruby topaz hummingbird, Tobago

TRINIDAD AND TABAGO.  TABAGO AND TRINIDAD.  The order hardly matters so we started in Tabago at Cuffie River Resort, the plushest place we stayed on this trip.  There were only six of us in residence, three independent couples each with a different itinerary and we were the most serious birders.

mm

 

    Blue-backed manakin

nn

   Rufous-tailed jacamar

We could see a dozen species right from our balcony; motmots, chacalacas, nightjars and half-dozen different hummingbirds.  Day trips didn’t begin until after breakfast — Regina insisted that the rainforest birds don’t get up early.  In two days we covered the forests from Cuffie down to the coast and onward to “Little” Tabago, through the rain and mud, adding eight new species, including the blue-backed manakin and the Trinidad motmot, one of five “new” motmots, formerly classified as the blue-crowned motmot we originally saw in Costa Rica.  That one is now called the cerulean motmot and the blue-crowned is now found only in Mexico.  If you find this confusing, think how the birds feel.

nn 

   Trinidad motmot

 

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Trinidad & Tobago

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.