Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Orange and Pont du Gard

FRANCE | Wednesday, 7 October 2015 | Views [356]

Pont du Gard, World Heritage Site, Provence

Pont du Gard, World Heritage Site, Provence

ORANGE SOLVED TWO PROBLEMS FOR THE ROMANS.  It was a perfect place to pension off loyal Roman officers and their presence would be a deterrent to those pesky Gauls who continued to tweak the Roman nose.  The main sites are the city arch, not officially an “Arc de Triomphe” but the model for the one in Rome, and the Roman theater, one of the few with the acoustic wall still standing.  We’ve seen many a Roman theater and the €10 entry seemed exorbitant (as do many of the entries in France) so we hiked through the park for free views from above.

nn

    Roman theater from above

The Romans left other evidence of their presence in the area, the most spectacular is the Pont du Gard aqueduct.  Its three tiers stand 50 meters high and 275 meters long, almost exactly as it was in the 1st Century AD.  Wonder if Sir Norman’s bridge will stand the test of time as well. 

nn

   Clos les Olives, just like home

We are staying at Clos les Olives in the tiny village of Comps near Nimes, convenient to Arles and Orange and even Avignon.  It is the kind of place we could actually live in, wonderful kitchen, big bathroom with washer and dryer and a pool.

 

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.