Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Armenian Churches

ARMENIA | Saturday, 1 August 2015 | Views [307]

Gate of St. Gregory, Holy See of Echmiadzin

Gate of St. Gregory, Holy See of Echmiadzin

ARMENIA IS THE OLDEST CHRISTIAN NATION in the world, having adopted Christianity in 301 AD.  But its Biblical heritage goes back much farther.  One story has Noah floating somewhere near current day Yerevan when he spotted Mt. Ararat poking above the flood waters.  For what it’s worth, Mt. Ararat is 35 miles away in present day Turkey but it is ten times as far by road due to ongoing politics, namely the Armenian Genocide, the country’s other “claim to fame.”

Following the Christian history is much simpler — and safer — even for non-believers, so we hired a driver and set off for the churches of St. Hripsime and St. Gayane, named for a couple of stubborn nuns who lived in Rome around 300 AD.  Neither was terribly exciting and I still can’t differentiate between Greek, Russian and Eastern Orthodox, not that it overly matters.

nn     m

   St. Hripsime                                            St. Gayane

Mother See of Holy Etchmiadzin was a different story.  It is — and I quote — “the administrative headquarters of the Armenian Apostolic Church and the Pontifical Residence of the Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of all Armenians,” fifteen hectares of Armenian religion.  Much is being renovated, including the Etchmiadzin Cathedral, but the weekend faithful were hardly deterred.  

     Etchmiadzin Cathedral

I had a chance to speak with a Canadian family of Armenian descent who tried to explain their continued infatuation with the genocide, something that happened a century ago.  It sounds a bit like what we encountered on Cyprus.  I guess there’s just something about the Turks that pisses off their neighbors.

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Armenia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.