Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Tbilisi: Old Town, New Town

GEORGIA | Friday, 24 July 2015 | Views [324]

You are here! Connie on the walls of  Nirikala Fortress

You are here! Connie on the walls of Nirikala Fortress

THE NIRIKALA FORTRESS, SO SCENIC FROM BELOW, in reality is just some crumbling walls high above the town.  But it affords the best view of Tbilisi — the Old Town and Peace Bridge, the hammam and Mother Georgia.  The cable car ride up from Rike Park is worth the dollar charge and the walk down is steep, but pleasant.  

nn

   For whom the bell tolls

A stroll down Bamba Row in Old Town takes you past restaurants, cafes, shisha bars and lots of street sculpture.  Somehow we timed it right, arriving at the leaning tower at Rezo Gabriadze Marionette Theater a few minutes before noon.  While a hammer-wielding angel glided out to clang the hour, a young couple emerged below, followed by their ever aging selves in different stages of their lives — parenthood, maturity, old age and . . . .  Time marches on.

n

   Lamplighter

So did we, eventually leaving the old city for Freedom Square and a newer Tbilisi.  Although not as modern as Baku, Rustaveli Street shaded by sycamores, has many of the same designer stores, Parlaiment, the opera and great people watching, so different than the narrow twisting alleyways of Old Town.  Something for everyone.

n

    Rustaveli Street

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Georgia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.