Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Hittite Sites: Hattusa, Yazilikaya and Alacahoyuk

TURKEY | Friday, 12 June 2015 | Views [737]

Lion Gate, Hattusa

Lion Gate, Hattusa

YESTERDAY'S DRIVE SOUTH TO BOGAZKALE, though long, was refreshing; two-lane blacktop winding through rolling hills and freshly sown fields and charming run-down villages.  Mustafa was waiting for us with sweet tea at his family’s Hotel Baykul, a short walk from the Hattusa World Heritage Site.  It had to be us he was waiting for; we are the only guests.

bog

     Bogazkale from Hattusa

Hattusa was the capital of the Hittite Empire from 2000 to 1200 BC in Anatolia and norhtern Syria.  Little of substance remains standing but the ruins of palaces, temples, homes and burial sites remind us of this forgotten civilization.  A wall spanning more than six kilometers surrounded the city with several entry gates.  The most picturesque is the Lion Gate while the most formidable is known as the “Tunnel,” boring 50 meters through the fortification.  

nn     nn

         Stone carvings at the Sanctuary of Yazılıkaya

bb     vv

   Sphinx Gate                                         Alacahoyuk tomb

Nearby the sanctuary of Yazılıkaya, whose walls are decorated with bas-reliefs are a masterpiece of Hittite art.  Slightly farther afield we also visited the Alacahoyuk archeological site, with its famous “Sphinx Gate” and plexiglas-covered tombs.  The wildflowers and the views of the countryside were every bit as interesting as the ruins.

 

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.