Existing Member?

vagabonds3 "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Jerash: Better The Second Time Around

JORDAN | Wednesday, 29 April 2015 | Views [1038]

Hadrian's Gate, Jerash

Hadrian's Gate, Jerash

WE HAVE BEEN RELUCTANT TO REVISIT OUR FAVORITE places but we returned to Jordan to see if Petra and Jerash were as good as we remembered.  Petra, like love, was every bit as wonderful the second time around.  And we are happy to report, so is Jerash.  

c

   The Cardo

Jerash, truth be told, may even be better.  No, it hasn’t changed much except for the  gauntlet of vendors at the entrance.  But our experience has.  We have seen more, know more and have a better appreciation for archeology.  From Hadrian’s Gate to the South Theater, Jerash can hold its own with Ephesus, Rome and any of the other ancient Romans sites we have visited. 

n

   Jerash from on high

Jerash, or Gerasa, is one of the ten Roman Decopolis cities like Damascus in the Levant and Middle East and is rated one of the top Roman sites in the world.  But to my surprise, Jerash isn’t a World Heritage Site, which is a shame.  They could use the UNESCO funds to clean up the rubbish and remove the grass from the ruins.  Even so, Jerash is only and hour’s drive from the Amman airport and it should be a “don’t miss” on any visit to Jordan.

n

   Oval Plaza and Cardo from Temple of Zeus

An aside:  While angry young men terrorize the Middle East under the banner of Islam, another quieter revolution may be taking root.  I am talking about the young Muslim women who look in awe at Connie and asked to pose with her — totally ignoring me, by the way.  I wonder if their time has come, too.  After all, Queen Alia is one heck of a role model.  

n

   You Go, Girl!

 

 

 

About vagabonds3

John and Connie, Sheikh Zayad Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Jordan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.