Existing Member?

Uganda Retrospective Our thoughts, experiences and photos from six months as volunteers for the Jane Goodall Institute in Uganda.

Epilogue

USA | Friday, 12 October 2007 | Views [640]

At the 30th Anniversary of JGI

At the 30th Anniversary of JGI

Many months have passed since our last entry.  We spent the rest of 2006 traveling throughout Africa and the Middle East including a Tanzanian safari, two weeks in Ethiopia, 5 weeks in Egypt, a month in Jordan, Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates, and Oman.  We celebrated the New Year in Israel and finished our trip in March in Turkey.  But that's another journal.

Back in the States we did laundry and took care of medical issues and such.  Then in June we drove to Alaska for a summer of camping. In October drove east to Washington DC for the 30th Anniversary of the Jane Goodall Institute, finally bringing our trip full circle.

Jeff Corwin hosted the black tie event at the Andrew Mellon Auditorium.  Dr. Jane, as expected, was entertaining the dignitaries at the VIP reception.  When she heard we were there she came out saying, "if they won't let you in there then I will come out here!"  Gracious to the max!  With all her duties she took the time to thank us personally for the work we did in Uganda.

We surprised Debby Cox, our Uganda supervisor, who had seen us only in shorts and T-shirts, usually paint splattered and also met some of the women from Disney's Animal Kingdom who provided the teaching aids we used.  We were impressed with the entire event, especially with some of the younger people who are active in the institute.  It is an organization worth looking into if you are interested in conservation.

 

About ugandaretrospective

This says it all

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.