Existing Member?

Uganda Retrospective Our thoughts, experiences and photos from six months as volunteers for the Jane Goodall Institute in Uganda.

TASO; The Aids Support Organization

UGANDA | Monday, 21 August 2006 | Views [1136]

An original Moses Ndahura

An original Moses Ndahura

Wehave been back at headquarters for more than a week and already miss the solitude of Busingiro.  But we have had many errands to run and missions to accomplish, not to mention tons of laundry.  The machine makes it easier and probably does a better job but the water works only to half of the house and I feel like Mickey Mouse in “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice” as I haul bucket after bucket of water to fill the semi-automatic washer.

But we accomplished all of 0ur tasks: 1) change our flights; 2) get Tanzanian visas; 3) develop photos; and 4) make bus reservations to Arusha.  Stephany dropped us off near – not at – the Speke Hotel, our landmark in Kampala.  We were able to change our flights from Nairobi – Addis Ababa to Dar es Salaam – Addis via Kilamanjaro for only $13 each. 

Sally dropped off the painting of a rural market that we commissioned from Moses.  He evidently hadn't finished it when we left Masindi and rather than disappoint us by saying so, just never met us.  But all is forgiven and we are very pleased.  He even included his working sketches which will look great framed.  Now to get it home.  We have divided our things into several piles, some to go with us and some to be mailed home, an expensive proposition.  We can take 30 kilograms to Ethiopia but only ten to Zanzibar.  We have donated cots, sleeping bags, etc. to JGI and today took some spare clothing, medicines and syringes to TASO, The AIDS Support Organization. 

Even if Uganda’s HIV rate is the reported 6%, that’s more than 1.25 million people.  It’s much better than the 50-60% of a few years ago but that means many people have died.  We don’t know much about TASO except that any town of size has an office and their trucks and Honda dirt bikes cruise the dirt roads.  If the Entebbe office is any indication they are very much in demand; the place was packed.  On Friday they were distributing food and we saw many boda-bodas with rice or maize bags on the back or tied between the driver’s legs.

Emma, our young Australian friend, doesn’t believe AIDS is as bad of a disease as we make it sound.  After all, there are drugs that can keep one alive and they are given out free in Uganda.  Yes, my Christian friend, but they are the old medications, not the new cocktails.  They must be taken on a regular schedule, not a strong part of African culture and even then they don’t cure HIV/AIDS.  Just go look at the people awaiting help at TASO and think of the millions affected, not just those infected, and maybe you will see it from a different perspective.

About ugandaretrospective

This says it all

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Uganda

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.