Existing Member?

Uganda Retrospective Our thoughts, experiences and photos from six months as volunteers for the Jane Goodall Institute in Uganda.

An Angel Named Sally

UGANDA | Tuesday, 9 May 2006 | Views [677]

We showered au natural during heavy rains

We showered au natural during heavy rains

We rode into Masindi to try again to open a savings account. Including the JGI money we have something over $1500 and no secure way of keeping it.  Armed with everything they told us we needed we entered the Stanbic Bank looking like desperados, more likely to rob it than make a deposit.  After 40 kilometers of dirt roads we were fifty, me more so since I rode drag to Connie.  After two more trips to the photocopier, thankfully just across the street and a visit to the manager’s office, Sally, the muzungu owner of New Court View, came to our rescue.  They had been trying to open a commercial account for us when we wanted a personal one and Sally and her partner Joseph wrote us letters of introduction so we are good to go and our money is finally safe. 

We needed lunch after that ordeal and went – where else – to Sally’s.  She is British but spent much of her life in Tanzania.  After an early retirement she returned to Africa as a VSO (the UK version of Peace Corps) volunteer in Uganda.  She says she isn’t very good at packing so she is still here!  We arrived home with two cases of water (the stuff from our well is rusty), a fifth of Smirnoff, a six-pack of Castle Lager, and some hardware.  The guys have been cleaning the center and we should be able to begin serious cleaning tomorrow.

It’s raining now – good news and bad news.  On the good side we just showered al fresco, not cold once you get used to it.  Bad news?  For all their quaintness, thatch roofed bandas leak.  We will have to look into emergency repairs tomorrow.

About ugandaretrospective

This says it all

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Uganda

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.