Existing Member?

Uganda Retrospective Our thoughts, experiences and photos from six months as volunteers for the Jane Goodall Institute in Uganda.

The British Museum

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 28 February 2006 | Views [337]

Scouting the underground map, London

Scouting the underground map, London

We got some good advice from the folks at immigration on how to negotiate the underground, also known at the “Tube”.  The UK is expensive and a round-trip fare for the 45 minute local cost nearly $10 each, but it isn’t too bad when compared to  $45 for the express or the $4 diet coke at the airport later on.  The stops from Heathrow were pure poetry; Hounslow Central, Knightsbridge, and Piccadilly Circus.

We spent the day exploring the British Museum’s Egyptian collection in preparation for our visit to Egypt in late September.  It is the largest assemblage of Egyptan artifacts in the world, even larger than Cairo’s.  The highlight was the actual Rosetta Stone, the translation key to Egyptian hieroglyphics, and, of course, the loot from King Tut's tomb.  It was quite enlightening but I guess I was beginning to crash. We did had “pub grub” (fish and chips) at The Plough, a smoky pub just down from the museum, then returned to explore some more.  We retraced our journey to the airport and hung around to wait for the flight to Entebbe, Uganda.

This plane was quite empty so we split up.  Connie had a window and aisle to herself while I had an entire middle row of three seats.  I substituted a double Bloody Mary for supper and quickly sacked out for about five hours.  It was a great flight as far as flights go with first class room for coach prices. 

About ugandaretrospective

This says it all

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.