Existing Member?

Life is but a mere journey of exploration!

Understanding a Culture through Food - Red Chilies

BHUTAN | Friday, 19 April 2013 | Views [285] | Scholarship Entry

Dr Karma was undergoing his usual clinical routine when he examined his patient Nobu with gastric Ulcer. After a rigorous health procedure Nobu, in usual traditional curtsy says "thank you Doc" and left. His eyes meet mine as I was the patient next in line. A gentle smile as he wavered through the crowed finding his way out of a tiny hospital.
I was already on a cab, when he halted the same taxi. "Hello", He greeted; apparently for the reason that there was not many in Thimphu with rowdy hair lock and scarred face.
"hey, seems like you had tough time getting a cab".
"I got it now; Thimphu's getting tougher every minute." His eyes being bit reclusive.
"I saw you were diagnosed with Gastric Ulcer, seems like you are in need to control few diets"
"Its the chilies" says he with his eyes sparked!
"Why Chilies?" my eyebrow raised with curiosity. To me, coming to Thimphu for the first time didn't deter me the least. Neither did my Parents being Bhutanese tell me that they eat Chilies.
"You seem to be new around here, come over dinner, my cooks fine"
It came little bit as a surprise. As for me, seeing a person for few minutes in cab wasn't in anyway being host for a dinner. But i agreed anyway.
The traffic took a hoarse turn before i could make it at 8pm. When I reached his given address I found everything ready. I was greeted by a beautiful wife and two lovely kids. Being a lone guest was never in a favor of any mankind; but i had to accept the gulp and went onto making myself comfortable.
On the table was all dishes made of chilies. the first pot filled with green chilies mixed with cheese. Second to that was red chilies with radish and pork. a delicacy that most of mankind is hardly afforded. The third was the curd, a watery lime white content with chunks of aggregated chunks.
Except as the spices, I have never had chilies before. However i was confronted with a war in-front and I knew I had to bleed before I get out of my genuine hosts house.
The dinner served; his wife tells me that the meal was of Kings order! Which in her words meant only kings afford such a delicacy.
The first taste was the hottest dish I have ever had. My face started turning red. The pork was deliciously hot too. The red rice as they call it special was the only savor, but it took came up hot with hotter taste with hottest dish. Alas, when everything was bled red out of me, just before I left the place; I told him, "I know where you get Gastric ulcer from"
Hearty Laugh, then.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About tshewangsjournal

Mother lost teh site of Babies; concerned!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Bhutan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.