Existing Member?

Trude's Travel Tales

Kisumu, Day 2 (and a half)

KENYA | Thursday, 4 December 2008 | Views [503] | Comments [4]

We've been in Kisumu now for a couple of days, and again, the word of the day is still 'confronting'. Yesterday we had a guide take us for a walk around the city, right through the bus mall (which is nothing like a bus mall) and through some of the markets - I saw a boy, only about 8 years old, sniffing a bottle of glue.  World Youth told us many times to expect to see this, but reading about it and seeing it is completely different.  I saw a man push him over and take his glue, then the boy ran after him and the man threw the bottle at him...the boy caught it and the look on his face, it was like the glue was his lifeline.  Johnson, a man we met today, does so much great work with the street boys, he has taken in a few of them and is trying to make a difference.  He said they sniff the glue for a number of reasons - it actually shrinks their intestines, so they can eat a very small amount of food and feel full, and it also numbs both their mind and body, they can't feel the cold at night or when they are hit or abused.  And it's cheap.  It's so sad to see.  Another boy followed us about 500 metres down the street asking us for money.  And we discussed it in our group today, what to do in the situation, and you can't give them money because it tends to perpetuate the whole cycle, the only thing that is suitable to do, if you choose to, is if you have food on you to give them a little of it.  It is just such a different world.

Last night we went out for dinner, and that was the first time we had walked in the city at nighttime - that was only because the place was only two blocks down from the hotel.  It's far too dangerous to walk much farther than that, even in a group. It was incredible, it was almost completely pitch black because there are no streetlights and no shopfronts lit up, and the people here just blend into the night.  They lie in the gutters, in doorways, all over the place and you can only really tell they are there when you see their clothes or their eyes.

But I'm doing ok with it all so far, I find much of it hard to write about because I think I'm still trying to process it. I think I will struggle when I get home, or at least be very frustrated, that I can't describe life here accurately to people.  It's just impossible, you have to see it.  And hear some of the stories that people have to tell.  I'm looking forward to going to Mutumbu on Friday and settling in, getting to work, and meeting the locals - we had a Swahilli lesson today which was great, except the locals in the village speak Luo I think, but most understand Swahilli, the basic greetings at least.  Not sure when we'll be back in Kisumu after that, maybe 2 weeks or so.  I know we're coming here on Christmas Eve and then going back to Mutumbu on Christmas day. I'll miss giving you all updates through my journal!

Our hotel probably isn't actually quite as nice as I originally thought...on closer inspection there are bugs in the bathroom, not sure what they are, little cockroaches or what, and the water from the shower runs toward the door instead of the drain (the floor slopes slightly in the wrong direction)!  But compared to what most people have here in Kenya, it is still absolute luxury!  And we're all making the most of having a relatively comfy bed and a shower before we go for god knows how long without them!!

Thinking of you all and miss you lots xoxo

Comments

1

Glad you are doing ok, but yes, it must be almost undescribable to see life there. Absorb it all, know you are making a difference, and live your breathless moments. Love you Chooky

  Mum (Irene) Dec 4, 2008 7:06 AM

2

wow man, I cant imagine what is it like over there for you right now, listen to your mumma u truely are making and difference and yes it may be indiscribable but what you have said so far is just mind blowing, nearly makes me cry even thinking bout it. The bugs in the bathroom thing doesnt really blow my hair back at all...eeeeeeewwwwww. but its ok for u as ur going for the dread lock look remember :P.
well good luck on ur adventures and ur swahilli. Im so proud of u man!
lots of love.
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoo.

  Sim Dec 4, 2008 11:31 AM

3

Hey Trudz!!!Glad to hear from you again.I dont really know what to say, but we are all proud of you and think of you heaps. What you will see over there is probably going to be nothing you can describe, we can only imagine & thank god for what we've got.All the best with everything.Luv Peg, Dan and Ryland. XXXX

  Peg Dec 4, 2008 1:32 PM

4

You are absolutely amazing hun!!...there is no way that i could ever do what are you doing and also what your about to do for sooo many ppl!!...keep safe xox

  Sam Dec 4, 2008 3:41 PM

About trudygeard


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.