Existing Member?

The travelling coconut

Catching a Moment - A magical night

TURKEY | Sunday, 14 April 2013 | Views [249] | Scholarship Entry

“Follow me,” the man gave us a mysterious Turkish smile, “I know a magical place.”

We were in a village at the foot of Pamukkale, a natural paradise of cotton white terraces and crystal blue hot springs. And here was our hostel man who offered us a special evening treat.

Excitedly, we sneaked through the sleeping village and ventured into the valley. The kind moon lit our way, while dark mountains staring at us. Where were you going? Curious fireflies joined us.

We didn’t know. The man marched in front, and we followed like his shadow. It was so silent that we breathed carefully not to disturb sweet dreams in the valley.

As time slipped away, my naughty imagination started to play tricks on me. Have you heard about meat dumpling hostel? A horror tale crawled into my mind, with a wicked narrative voice: innocent guests all disappeared overnight, with only fresh smell of meat dumplings lingering in the morning.

“Will he lead us somewhere and chop us into kebab?” I whispered to Anisha, a savvy Indian girl whom I met on the bus here.

“If so,” she elbowed me with giggles, “panda, you go first.”

"Who wants to munch a chubby panda?” I kicked back the teasing ping pong, “maybe a skinny vegetarian girl is a healthier option for him!”

We both laughed and the man stopped.

“Look, there,” he pointed like a fairy with his magical stick. I looked his way and held my breath.

It was a pond filled with moonlight, like a shining blue silk. Enchanted by this sight, fireflies started dancing the summer ballet. I wish Van Gogh could capture this moment with his bold brush.

“I discovered here,” the man grinned proudly at the fenced World Heritage Site in the distance, "the hot spring is from Pamukkale."

We tiptoed into the pond. The warm water enthusiastically embraced us, like mother welcoming her children home. Softly, she massaged us and we felt melted in love.

"Let’s celebrate for you coming to Pamukkale, my sisters,” the man magically took out a bottle of local wine and filled three glasses, "it's a happy wine made by my wife."

I sipped the wine. It tasted warm like the hot spring and sweet like Turkish hospitality.

Cheers, for being at our beautiful home tonight.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About travellingcoconut


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.