Existing Member?

Stories of a Traveller Girl

Island life on Koh Ta Kiev!

CAMBODIA | Friday, 22 May 2015 | Views [227] | Scholarship Entry

The one thing that sold me about Koh Ta Kiev? An island to get away from it all!

Hailing from Singapore where we are a city in a country and vice versa, being away from everything was just perfect. I loved that I got to escape everything about city life.

My awesome island life for 3 days started with our ride to the island. No, we didn’t have a ferry. We rode the local boat and it really was experience on its own, especially when you have to balance everyone’s weight out! The 1-hour boat ride was absolutely beautiful as you get a 360-view of the scenery around.

Stepping ashore, I did not expect the water to be crystal clear, and actually forgot that there was an absinthe distillery on the island till I got there. I felt so alive swimming in the water, and then sitting up in the tree house-like bar drinking Cambodian absinthe (it was 85% alcohol!). Trying Cambodian absinthe was quite the experience as the base of the absinthe is rice wine, which is totally different from absinthe that originates in Europe!

Koh Ta Kiev was simply paradise. I loved that we got to just be with nature, and amongst good company of those who went to the island together.

I stayed at Ten103 Treehouse Bay, a place on the island I found while doing research for my NYE 2014 trip to Cambodia. The hangout area is simply divine, and so is the food. Everyone who goes there is just chill and we had the best times hanging out with a beer by the beach where cows, chickens and dogs joined us, trying to find luminous organisms at midnight, and sharing our torchlights so we could find our way back to the dorm!

Being a girl, I do get particular about toilets (I guess it is a girl thing amongst us ladies, right?) but when it came to Koh Ta Kiev that did not matter at all. I loved that we had to use a scoop to pour water over ourselves to shower. Okay, so the toilet did not have a flush and there was electricity for only 5 hours in a day, but I felt that all of this added to the whole experience of being somewhere secluded and getting back to the basics of simply enjoying the moment. I really felt at one with myself.

Replicating my experience isn’t hard at all! Just Google “Ten103 Treehouse Bay” and book a dorm bed/hut/hammock for yourself, or get to Sihanoukville, Cambodia, and call them from your hostel to book! Do ensure that you check the weather forecast because you definitely need it to be sunny when you’re there.

Oh yes, and don’t forget to pop by the absinthe distillery!

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About travellergirl


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.