Existing Member?

One City at a Time

Times Square in Seoul: Woww

SOUTH KOREA | Sunday, 14 March 2010 | Views [4954]

The other day I went to biggest mall in Seoul today (according to both my husband and the Korean Tourism's official site), the Times Square. As soon as we got there my heart started beating like crazy because hey, this is the first time in a long long time since I've seen a mall that actually resembled a "big mall" like the ones that are in the Philippines in and in Malaysia.

Sadly though, aarrr I forgot to put the memory card back in the camera. Arrr! Imagine that. So later on we decided to buy a new memory card. After buying though we found out that we had forgotten to charge. ARRR again! And I was therefore unable to post pictures.

So we were walking through the mall's gigantic hallways (and amazed at the numerous shops and dining establishments inside, it's way bigger than COEX, another incredibly famous mall in Seoul) and Youngbae would once in a while be surprised at my disappearance and suddenly find me reappearing inside a shop, like a little girl ogling at the product's sitting prettily on the shelves. Arr! Felt so much like home.

Next thing I knew, Youngbae was getting hungry. We bought some drinks (and some gifts for my students) in E-Mart (which is also huge, compared to some of the other E-marts I've seen, and it looks spanking new!) and also bought bread in Mix & Bake, which was also delicious. The shop is right outside Basement 1's E-mart establishment, so it's hard to miss.

We headed for the cinema and found ourselves awed by this particular cinema called "Starium". (Youngbae's theory was that this word is the combination of the words Star and Stadium. I had no other guess so I think I'll have to accept his.) This Starium claims to have the world's biggest screen, and maybe it is true, after sitting barely 15 seats away from it during the screening. But in my opinion, a big screen isn't a very good idea if the crowd is sitting not too far away from it. It's best, I believe, if they made the cinema itself much bigger as well so that people will have more options to sit far away from the screen and enjoy the movie better. But of course, all's done, and I doubt that any expansion will be considered anytime soon.

So, for anyone who's looking to visit a mall in Korea, I highly recommend visiting Times Square. If you're just looking for somewhere to stroll or watch a movie, shop for clothes (they have a small market in the subway for those on a budget) or even just have dinner with a loved one, this mall's got it all. It even has an excellent view of the stars because of its glass ceilings.

Have fun! :-)

Tags: korea, mall, seoul

 

 

Travel Answers about South Korea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.