Existing Member?

Travel Heart

"Jigga" what??

CHINA | Sunday, 18 March 2007 | Views [3234] | Comments [9]

Hi friends!!

I've made it, I've arrived (although that was a bit of an adventure), and I haven't freaked out yet. =) As far as I can tell I'm already on a China sleep schedule because by the time I arrived last night I'd gotten about 5 hours sleep in the past 48, so I pretty much passed out upon arrival.

Met all the other training leaders this morning, 23 of us total. A very interesting group, mixture of Aussies, Chinese, some British and Europeans, and 4 Americans including myself. This may be crazy to those of you who think I travel a lot, but I feel like my travel experience pales in comparison to many of theirs. It's okay though, because everyone's experience makes them unique, so I'm okay with that. I'm not even alone in the fact that I barely speak Chinese! Funny though, the Candian guy, the Arizona girl, and one of the Aussie guys speak the best Chinese! Because they've all been living here at one point or another. My roommate is a French/Spanish lady who's been living in Tibet for the past several years leading French tours there. Good gracious. We all just went out for a group dinner, with excellent Beijing duck, and lots of Chinese beer (surprised that I can still spell? ;-)  For anyone who has the slightest inclination to come to China, it is worth it for reason alone of trying honest to goodness Chinese food - the real thing.

First impressions of Beijing:

1. Car horns honking.... ALL THE TIME

2. Busy, bustling, typical big city

3. They smoke indoors, but not as bad as Europe

4. I can't read a damn thing! Not building signs, not metro names, not a newspaper, nothing. <I think that's what is going to get to me first, although I really haven't let anything get under my skin yet>

Oh yeah, maybe I should explain the title of this blog :-) I know very little Chinese but I'm already recognizing and remembering some of the words I knew from last time I was here. One of the first ones I heard today was "jigga"! hehehe, in Chinese "jigga" means "there" but it is seriously funny to hear it come out of a Chinese person's mouth! Jigga what?! :-)

Tags: Culture

Comments

1

hi jami,

very glad to hear you've arrived safely and that so far you're enjoying yourself. we look forward to hearing many more of your experiences. stay safe. we love you so much and we're EXTREMELY proud of your bravery, creativity and self-reliance!
love, aunt karen

  Aunt Karen Mar 18, 2007 2:59 AM

2

Hey Jami...

so happy to hear that you made it there safely! I can't wait to hear about all the exciting things you will be doing! and all the new chinese words you can teach me! miss ya and hope you are having fun!

<3 danielle

  danielle :) Mar 18, 2007 4:24 AM

3

Hey Sweetie,

I was sooo excited when I saw I had an e-mail from you. I feel like this is what you were made for... and you're doing it! You make me so proud to be your mom. I really look forward to seeing pictures, especially of you with China as your background.
xoxo

  Mom Mar 18, 2007 6:37 AM

4

Great to hear your there and having a blast so far! I knew you wouldn't freak out. The excitement is too much!

Real Chinese food huh? That sounds very tempting. You know how much of a soft spot I have for delicious dinning. =)

  Brad Mar 18, 2007 12:21 PM

5

This is such a cool thing to be able to communicate w/you so easily!! So glad that you made it safe and found your way so far...not that I'm surprised. Sounds to me like you'll do great ... also not surprising. I'm really so proud of you and can't wait to hear of all your new adventures. Love you sweety.
Dad

  Dad Mar 18, 2007 1:55 PM

6

How exciting! The adventure begins! I really like this world nomad website, great for updates. I hope you get some sleep and continue to have a great time with your co-leader people.

  Heather Mar 19, 2007 11:41 AM

7

Hey you made it. WOOOHOOO I am so happy for you. I miss you here at the hotel though. Take lots of notes, photos and keep us informed as to what you are up to. I am saving up now to take your tour.

Remember life is a wild ride and there is no better way to go then at full throttle.

Is there an address that I can send you a care package to?

  ladysilverwolf Mar 20, 2007 2:32 AM

8

Hi Beautiful,

You have always been so informative, keep the news coming and learn how to cook some duck the "real chinese way" I love duck but the closest I get to china is PF Changs....Does this bilog allow you to post photos? Oh yeah thanks for the pixs and Ill still be able to give you a "lift" when you get back.....DJ

  DjAy Mar 21, 2007 6:02 AM

9

Whew! Glad you're not dead. Now come home. I miss you. Seriously come home now. ... No? Okay fine then have tons of super fun for both of us and take lots of... wait, no. I don't have to tell you to take pictures, lol.

I love you! Don't do anything I would do!

Be... good?

  Heather (the first) Mar 26, 2007 7:46 AM

About travelheart24


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.