Existing Member?

Travel Heart

All in a Days Work

CHINA | Tuesday, 10 June 2008 | Views [963] | Comments [1]

This has got to be the least eventful trip I’ve ever run! No crazy stories, no near death experiences, how very sad… doesn’t mean I wont still write though! ;-)  I had 3 days off in Shanghai before the start of the trip, oh joy. Shanghai is quickly becoming one of my least favorite places in China; in addition to its overwhelming size and inflated prices, I also got pickpocketed on the main tourist drag and lost my sunglasses! Not the end of the world to most, but I happen to like the really dark lenses those had…       :-( and yes, I’m pouting, hahaha. After Shanghai we visited a water town similar to Zhujaijiao on my last trip. Again, having not been to this one I didn’t have much insight for pax. I really did research the place, but seem to have missed the fact that MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 3 WAS FILMED HERE! Oops. Don’t I feel… sheepish. (name that movie!) Xitang is a lovely town though, even more picturesque than Zhujaijiao, although I didn’t actually take any pics… maybe next time.  <<I stole the above photo from the MI3 website! LOL  :-D  >>

This trip only stays one day in each city, so we moved quickly on to Xian. Nothing eventful here, especially because I did NOT attempt to take the group to the lightshow, LOL. We also didn’t get any aftershocks while we were there, although some hotels are still having people sleep outside, just in case. The train from Xian to Pingyao was my second worst train experience in China, and culminated with me telling off a group of inconsiderate Chinese (in my best Mandarin) for blabbing all over the train at 12:30 at night. Grrr. In Pingyao I shot a couple games of pool with some of the pax, lost all three games – shocking, I know. Onward and upward to Beijing, hit the Great Wall -- and no, that's the one things I'm not blase' about, the Great Wall is awesome every time, and this time we had a pretty cool thunder storm. If it were at all possible I would've got a photo of the lightning I saw framed by one of the ruined watch towers.... WOW.

The pax on this trip were an interesting bunch; one middle aged guy who was so Australian that I think he could’ve actually said ‘Crikey’ and got away with it!, his girlfriend who sounded like Fran Drescher in The Nanny; one cool British/German/Spanish chick who reminded me very much of my dear friend EJ, so of course I took to her; her quiet but nice German boyfriend; two single British chicks; a 72 year old German/Kiwi gentleman, former history researcher, with the largest rolling suitcase he carted onto 3 trains; and one crazy Russian girl who seriously wanted to know everything about everything, and asked ‘What is this? What is this? What is this? Where do I go? What is the plan?’ until I wanted to shake her… I think I’m actually liking the shorter trips because I don’t get nearly as attached to the pax, hahaha.

I’m much more excited now about my plans for time off :-D  In a few days I’ll fly to meet my friend Spark in Kashgar at the end of the Silk Road, and we’re gonna work our way back towards Beijing along the Silk Road :-D !!!! I am so stoked! (the Silk Road is the ancient trading route between China and European countries; silk was traded for European goods. The culture out there is COMPLETELY different to the rest of China. I should have loads of photos after this trip, and hopefully some cool stories!) We were going to go to Mongolia too, but that’s been postponed to July. By far the best piece of news I got this trip was the new schedule that has me going to Mongolia to pick up a trip! So I’m gonna go a few days early, have a look around, Spark will meet me there and we’ll celebrate his birthday and the start of the Nadaam Festival! I’m not sure how I got quite this lucky in life, but I am ridiculously blessed. So when I return from the Silk Road I’ll have new stories and LOADS of photos! :-)

Currently Reading: White Teeth – apparently some big hit, all I know is it was the only English book at the book traders, hahaha.

Tags: work

Comments

1

Sweetie,

I FINALLY read this blog. This would have been a good thing to do BEFORE you went on your trip so I would have known what you were up to (for the most part), so I too am feeling sheepish. That's a good word. Glad you had a good time and made it home safely from Khazakstan! No way!!

  Mama Jun 21, 2008 1:33 PM

About travelheart24


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.