Existing Member?

JenOntheRoad “A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.” – Lao Tzu

A new way to travel !

FRANCE | Monday, 20 July 2015 | Views [412]

A new way to travel, more precisely a new way to sleep !

Youth and hotel will always be there but it exists other accomodation which are closer of an human relationship. Of course it depends of what you are looking for in travel ! For exemple, I prefer to live few day in a stranger's home than an hotel.

WHY ?

Because I want to discover the city by a local, to see what he sees, to learn how he lives. It is more interesting and more alive this way !

HOW ?

You are different way to do this, now I am going to talk about those I know and tested !

1. Couchsurfing


The principle is simple, you create an account, you write an profile and you can ask to be housed in the city of your choice ! It is free and it can be for one day or few day ! BUT you need to be respectful !!

It is free : Yes

You can do everything you want in the house of somoene else : No

When you use Couchsurfing it is because you want to share something with your host, yes I know when you do not have lot of money it is perfect! But do not forget it is also an human's experience ;).

2. AirBnB


You can be hosted all around the world too, like every web site you have to create an account and a profile.

This site is not free, you have to pay the host who welcome you (but it is less expensive than an hotel!) because this is not just a couch like in couchsurfing you can have your own private room and bath and the food is included. Well, of course it depends of your host and what he proposes to you but all the detail are marked on his profile.

In the same principle you have the website Bedicassa but I prefer AirBnB (it is my choice).

These two accomodations are for people who want to learn and share something with a host. Because of them you can discover the city differently, you can see some beautiful place which are not written in guide ! You can see the life of a local, I think it is a better way to travel !

Travel like a local !

 

3. To camp

 


It is different of the two others because you are not hosted, you sleep in your own tent. I mention it because you are not alone, you can talk, share something with other poeple who come all around the world ! It is also interesting !

 

NOW, I am going to talk about two others accomodations, but it is different because it is not for everyone. You can do it in another country if you have a visa ! More precisely a working holiday visa or a working visa.

 

WHY ?

 

because it is free but you have to work ! You can have an accomodation and food in exchange of few hours of work.

1. Woofing


The woofing is adapted to farm work.

You just have to pay the registration and when you can use it all the time you want ! (but of course it is for one year) The price changes according to the country. But it is not expensive ! For exemple is New-Zealand is 20$NZD.

2. Helpx


It is the same principle than the woofing but the work is in a city, so it is not farm work ! (for exemple : Backpacker, B&B, hotel...)

You have to pay a registration too but it is 20€ for two years.

Like the woofing if you are a couple you open an account for two (you pay one registration besides of two).

PS : The picture are not from me.

ENJOY !

 

 

 

Tags: #accomodation #travel #airbnb #couchsurfing #help

About travelerdiaryinusa


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.