Existing Member?

TravelEater

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [713] | Comments [9] | Scholarship Entry

Phnom Penh has lots of traffic. Not Hanoi levels, but the streets are clogged with bicycles, tuktuks, mopeds, and the occasional car. There are no real rules - people drive mostly on the right (but not exclusively) and weave around each other. If a street should be two lanes of traffic, it is really four, with the curb "lane" going the opposite direction to the real lane beside it. Drivers honk their intentions, no signal lights. Intersections are a free-for-all - I haven't figured out how they figure out who's turn it is. Police watch from the shade, detached from the traffic mayhem playing out. The half day Saturday school session has let out and everywhere there are teenagers in uniform doubling and tripling younger kids on mopeds and bikes.

A police officer waves us down, but my driver ignores him. Another intersection and a police motorcycle appears. He plays chicken with my driver, stop-starting closer and closer. Then he stops so quickly we accidentally bump his rear tire. Not hard, but a bump all the same. Shouting ensues. I stare wide-eyed.

The police officer dismounts and steps in front of our bumper. More terse sentences, accompanied by frantic gesticulation by both parties. Then finally a word I understand. "Sorr-eeeee", whispers my driver, and we rocket into the mid-day traffic. I'm thrown back as the car strikes the police officer square-on. He rolls into the windshield, but slides off, landing on his feet.

Horn honking, tires squealing, palms sweating (mine, I assume the driver's too), we weave in and out of tuktuks, bikes and mopeds, not to mention all the school kids. The driver tries desperately to evade the pursuing police officer (who has remounted his motorcycle), and avoid hitting anything, or anyone. We lurch and screech furiously. I clutch the door white-knuckled, and uselessly squeeze my eyes shut at close calls. But I'm grinning with excitement. I'm ready to tackle anything Southeast Asia throws at me.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

Comments

1

Exciting story! What I want to know is... what happened next???

  Meg Apr 27, 2012 2:52 PM

2

Fantastic! Only when your thrown into the day to day of another culture do you really start to "experience it".

  Rosemary Apr 27, 2012 9:37 PM

3

What an exciting and culture- immersing experience! Makes me want to join in on the adventure!

  Corinne Apr 27, 2012 10:47 PM

4

It is interesting how the rules of the road (or lack of) provide tourists with an insight into the cultural psyche of the location. Great story!

  Susan Apr 29, 2012 8:48 AM

5

What a great story. Was the local fare as spicy as the traffic?

  Shane Apr 29, 2012 10:15 AM

6

This brings me back to my own time in Phnom Penh. I loved the exilaration of placing my full trust into my moped driver (who was always smiling!) as we weaved in and out of traffic...
Well written!

  Stephanie Apr 29, 2012 10:58 AM

7

I remember how crazy Phnom Penh was as well. This takes the cake, though!

  Rob Apr 30, 2012 11:42 PM

8

Great story... and what a way to start a holiday! I've heard about the orderly (or disorderly) chaos of streets in Southeastern Asia... but this story certainly puts it to life for me.

  Melissa May 6, 2012 9:44 PM

9

Thanks for all the comments everyone.
You can read the end of the story here http://traveleater.wordpress.com/cambodia-road-mail/ ... I think it involved bribes ....
But other than the traffic drama, Cambodia was amazing and the food phenomenal. My favourite Phnom Penh site was the elephant walking to work every morning past my hotel :-)
Johanna

  @TravelEater May 13, 2012 4:40 AM

About traveleater


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.