Existing Member?

Getting lost for fun... My travels around the globe.

Español in BA

ARGENTINA | Sunday, 24 February 2013 | Views [384]

So one week down of classes. My brain hurts a little. I have so much respect for anyone who has managed to learn a second language, and I'm just rediculousloy envious of those who have learned 3 or more. All those Europeans who speak 4 or 5 languages are just out of this world brilliant. I'm stumped - some days I feel like I can barely speak English and then I go to class and feel really stupid. But yeah...it's going...slowely...very VERY slowely. My teacher is great. He's really passionate about teaching and he only speaks in Spanish so hopefully at some point I'll stop looking like a dear in headlights at everything he says. I do think hearing Spanish consistently for 4 hours a day is helping me comprehend...but I always feel really hungry and really tired after class so I usually stuff my face and pass out like a baby. It's amazing how much mentally exerting yourself can make you feel like you've just spent the morning working out hardcore in the gym! But seriously, I'm eating like a normal person again and I've managed to go the whole week without giving in for ice cream! That's a serious accomplishment! I even found a vegge buffet right around the corner from my hostel and some vegan retsaurants.

So it was really sad to part with Jen, we had some really good times. But at least she's in my favorite part of this country now - Northern Argentina. So hopefuly Salta's sweet magical energy is concocting some good vibes for her. And in the meantime, I never thought I'd say this but it's actually kind of nice to stay settled for a while and have a bit of a routine. It's a break from moving constantly and unpacking and repacking my bag all the time. Ths city is breathing with life all around and in some ways it kind of reminds me of NYC. And I have to say, after almost 4 months away I do find myself missing it. I miss the little spots that I went to frequently, that started to feel like my spots even though I shared them with millions of other people everyday. In the mornings when I walk to class, sometimes I listen to Big City Life by Mattafix and I pass by Starbucks and it makes me feel like I'm home again. It's kind of surreal.

Anyway, life is passing by as it does and I'm trying to grasp the love and beauty where I can. Hopefully next week my brain will expand and allow me to cram a lot more Spanish into it. Maybe I'll even meet some other lonely souls to go dancing with. I really need to dance soon. Oh life...beautiful, strange life! Thank you for all you have given me thus far. I feel so poetic this evening. I've been hoping my poetic side would come out and get inspired at some point on this trip but so far it has been blocked. But perhaps, tonight in this dreamy state, a poem will arise! If only it would arise in Spanish...

About travelcrazy26


Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.