Existing Member?

Getting lost for fun... My travels around the globe.

Punta del Este to Montevideo to Colonia

URUGUAY | Sunday, 17 February 2013 | Views [237]

So my last night in Rosario was spent watching the Superbowl with some fellow Americans as well as pretty much the rest of thye hostel by the end of the game. It was nice and comforting although not nearly as entertaining as watching with my brother. They were all very tame. The next day I had to kill the day waiting for my night bus to Uruguay so I wandered over to a big park and hung out and took some pictures. When I got back I ran into a German girl who was also waiting for a night bus so we walked around the city together filling in the space with good conversations, travel tip swaps, and beer and empanadas. We walked to the bus staion together in the evening and said our goodbyes. As I was waiting for my bus an Argentinian guy came and chatted with me and ended up giving me lots of names of bands to listen to in Spanish. He also gave me some travel tips for Argentina and invited me to his home city. It's amazing how nice some people are. I always have my guard up and expect the worst...but usually people are just trying to practice their English and are genuinely nice people. Always believe in the kindness of strangers....but still always keep your guard up. Better safe than sorry.

So after another night border crossing and another night bus where I didn't sleep much i arrived in Montevideo and hung around until Jen showed up. We then got on a bus to Punta del Este, put our bags in the room and wandered out to find food. We ended up eating a lot of pizza and drinkng a lot of shitty boxed wine for the next two days. We called it our "vacation away from vacation"! Jen put dreads in my hair which also consumed a lot of the time. It was nice to be on a beach, despite the masses of people. The boxed wine helped lessen the overwhelming feeling of being surrounded by thousands of people.

After two days of dong pretty much nothing we headed back to Montevideo. We ate a lot and walked around the city. That's pretty much it. Next we went to Colonia, a cute little city on the coast with cobble stone streets, spent the day walking and eating again (since apparently that's what we do best!) and waiting for our night ferry back to BA. All in all a good yet short trip. Uruguay is expensive and in my opinion, best seen in the company of good friends.

About travelcrazy26


Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Uruguay

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.