Existing Member?

Gallivanting in Europe

Jeans soaked to the knee in London

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 18 August 2011 | Views [470]

The bridge from Tate to St Paul's

The bridge from Tate to St Paul's

Started my day with nowhere in particular to go in mind. It was a nice cool morning which began with a wander around Southwark, namely Southwark church and Borough Markets, the latter had very cute organic fruit, poultry and flower stalls. I find it strange when food markets prohibit photos. It's an apple not a work of art.

Along the river I passed the Globe Theatre and Tate Modern. I like Tate; though it is a very ugly building both inside and outside, it contains very curious artworks, for example one video explained the concept of expresionism. People in bikinis and swimmers lying on the beach had squirming fish dropped on them. I have no clue what that is supposed to mean. Nonetheless the surrealist and realist pieces were very good.

St Paul's was swarmed with tourists. The steps leading up to the entrance had dozens of people sitting down to rest, eat and get in everyone's photo. I went into the catedral just as the announcer declared 1 minute of silent prayer with particular mentions for British politicians and the London rioters.

From there the weather turned chilly. I found that Leichester Square, Soho and Picadilly Circus was where the youngsters congregated. Perhaps they valued fashion over practicality because they ran about in high heels and summer dresses, chain smoking under shelter from the rain. In Leichester Square I found an exhibition called The Museum of Broken Relationships. I'd seen this before with my best friend Carol in Singapore and was surprised to find it here. Odd bits and pieces like a sim card, broken glasses, a piano and a licence plate were mounted on stands with a description of the owner's messy breakup written on a piece of paper. Some I would've found hilarious if it weren't for the moaning music dragging down the mood of the place.

I've always wanted to be frugal enough to buy food at the end of the day when the price is reduced. A peking duck wrap was 49p - score!

Tags: globe theatre, london, marks and spencers, museum of broken relationships, tate modern

About travelcrazed


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.