Existing Member?

Chapters 4,5 of 8

Dubai

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES | Friday, 6 April 2012 | Views [526]

Dubai

I wrote up a very elaborate story about my times in Dubai, sadly when I hit submit, our internet (which is sometimes very spotty here in Cape Town) went out and I lost it all therefore I will only provide highlights.

Our trip started off with a two hour delay on top of an already 15 hour direct flight as well as a very early arrival and only 4 people actually going through Term D security in Houston. It was amazing; we didn’t have to sit through the long and awful security process that is terminal C and E in Houston.

One note worthy thing about Emirates flights, the planes first and second classes are incredible, if you’ve ever seen Soul Plane it was similar and Mark and I were Tom Arnold walking into third class out from first. None the less there was 75 people maybe on a 500 person flight. Mark and I each got our own row, through up the arm rests and got horizontal quick which was good for sleeping on the plane but just awful in our attempts to combat jet lag.

We arrive around 9pm Dubai time and got a cab straight to the hotel which was in a non hustle bustle part of the city. As I mentioned earlier our jetlag/ sleep problems were just beginning and we both were asleep by midnight and awake by 3am. I bet our bodies thought it was a mid afternoon nap.

We left the hotel in pursuit of the tallest building in the world at around 7am. The train into the city was about a 15 minute walk, and once we arrived to get on the train, half of the city of Dubai was on this train ready to go to work in the morning. We were the only westerners around and lack for a better term literally just ‘boss hogged’ our way into the train. It was very similar to the videos if you’ve seen them of the Chinese being squished onto trains. None the less after being tightly squeezed and unable to move for two ladies, they both missed their stops. We got off one stop premature just to walk around the city.

The whole city is 80% under construction and there’s several full and complete buildings 100% empty. The whole city has to be 85% empty its nuts. Upon arrival to the tallest building, which you could see anywhere in the city, it was amazing to see how this thing towered above everything, it’s literally only something out of a Sci Fi futuristic film.

Next door to the tallest building is the Dubai mall which is absolutely ridiculous. At least 3x larger than the Houston Galleria, but weirdly has every single shop from Houston in this mall and more. There’s even every Houston restaurant there- Chili’s, Macaroni Grill, and even TEXAS ROAD HOUSE. The outside of the mall in front of the tallest building is a very cut and paste but on a more amazing scale is the fountains from the Bellagio in Vegas as well as all the Italian buildings surrounding. Only way to see it and understand it is the pictures.

We did go to the top of the building, over 200+ stories, but one can only go to the 124th story, because the rest are residential floors. The view was great, although there was a sand storm blowing in the region that reduced visibility pretty good. But again just see the pictures.

Once leaving there, we headed for the Palm. As the outer rim of the palm is in itself its own island you had to take a tram out there. I believe Trump owns the majority as his name is spread all over the place. We both had no idea they had developed any of the ‘branches’ of the palm and once we saw the houses on these branches we were stunned. They were brilliant and their beach front property was stupid. There are literally no waves in Dubai that we found. Upon exiting the tram at the Atlantis Dubai, it appeared to be very private and secluded and members only type deal and when you see the pictures you’ll understand why. Well Mark and I just walked in like we lived there and set up shop on the beach. And for any of you that know one of my ultimate goals in life, which is to find a beach with pool water, i.e. the exact 180 degree from Galveston, I’ve finally found it. The water was crystal clear and you could literally get a pool float and drift out with out a worry in the world.

Once it began to get dark we headed to the “old town” which is where the natives have their markets/bazaars. We walked around being damn near the only westerns/tourists around which was great. There wasn’t too much crowding us and bothering us to go into their shops like I imagined there would be like I experienced in East Asia. We sampled the local food and even bought some spices- ( coming your way gma hall).

Day 2-

Mark had the great idea of taking a 2 hour bus to Abu Dabi with no research, and hell I don’t blame him one bit. Abu Dabi is just as rich as Dubai, but upon arrival we found there is almost zero public transportation and anything worth seeing is outside the city and only by an expensive cab ride, therefore we ate lunch in a mall where there was a Fuddruckers, seriously. We walked around a bit but headed back to Dubai in which from the road you can see the grand mosque. It was incredible to see. Once back we headed to the Sail Boat hotel, and its inclusiveness really sucked so you couldn’t get anywhere close, and at $1500USD to stay there a night, I wouldn’t want me around there either. We then headed to the Indoor ski place which was really neat, but we did not ski. Just take a look at the photo gallery once I have it all up and you’ll see some good stuff.

All in all the people were incredibly friendly and all my preconceived notions have been erased. We both felt that three days was perfect amount of timing in Dubai for us, as the shopping malls are not much more than something to walk through once for us. But the beaches were amazing and again everyone was so friendly and helpful it was incredible.

Stay tuned for Cape Town posts-

Until next time…

Tags: dubai

About travb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Arab Emirates

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.