Existing Member?

Chapters 4,5 of 8

Cape Town Part 1

SOUTH AFRICA | Friday, 6 April 2012 | Views [627]

Cape Town Part I-

I’m almost speechless and can not write on how amazing this place is. It’s day four and we’ve already extended our leaving date twice.

The pictures you will see or have seen do not do justice for this city. It literally has everything with in a 5 mile walking radius from where we stay. 5 minutes south is the downtown business area, .5 miles walk is Long street where all the bars and shop are, 2 miles uphill in Table mountain, 2 miles past that over the mountain and beaches that are breath taking.

We did not meet anyone really to hang out with in Dubai, but Cape Town Backpackers is incredibly different. It’s like a family here; there are around 10 of us that do a lot of our activities together. For example last night about 9 of us went out for pizza and spiked milk shakes and the night before that there was close to 12-14 that went to a huge parade. During the mornings we all conversate, revealing our plans for the day and as the length of everyone’s stay and the amount of time in which they arrived restricts us a bit of doing daily activities together but the night time is always a place to reconvene and share of the days tales. For example, our buddy we’ve met who’s from Germany has been here for a month, so has done a lot of the hikes, shark dives, sky dives, and wine tours already, so Mark and I are gathering all of the new arrivals to join us on Shark dives tomorrow, sky dive on Friday, and wine tour Saturday (which will be part two of cape town posts).

To begin- we came in around 5pm from Dubai on Friday, and once arrived at the hostel we were treated great and were shown to our rooms. We are staying a 10 bed dorm, which is better than a 16 which I stayed in Amsterdam. The majority of the people here are our age plus and minus a few years and when we tell everyone about what we think is an incredible journey (which they can’t take away from us) tell us their travel plans and make ours look weak. For example, one but hich hiked through Sudan, another has been gone since September and has been from Iceland to Ireland, to Thailand, to Morocco and down to Cape Town and sees no end in site. Another guy whose from Melbourne Australia hasn’t been home since 2006 and has been a straight nomad ever since!

But none the less we all got along great and everyone was very welcoming. We even got in the group which all went out to Long Street and had an amazing times out at all the bars. For the past 3 days we have had our own little group, Mark, myself, two Italian women, and a girl from Buenos Aires. We have gone out to breakfast and dinner together both Saturday and Sunday, but have now left.

For our daily activities, day 1 started out early afternoon with a hike to the top of table mountain. I can’t describe in words about the hike, it is too amazing to describe you will just have to see the pictures to believe me. The climb was tough but so rewarding. Sunday we went to the beach and again only pictures can do justice. Monday was a chill and relax day for Mark and I as we booked all of our weekly activities and just hung out till 6 when we were going to 2-1 pizza special with $3USD spiked milk shakes (which are absolutely incredible). In the mean time while waiting for 6 to arrive I set off by myself to hike the 2nd leg of the mountain which is Lions Head. Took about an hour and a half to get where I wanted to be, I sat and watched people paraglide. INCREDIBLE. Please see pictures and videos of this!

As I am writing this, Mark is off Seal Diving, and for me I am heading off the hike the third leg which is Devil’s peak which will be an all day affair.

Part two will consist of all the noteworthy activities such as shark diving, sky diving, motor bikes, and wine tours.

Until then, you stay classy.

Tags: cape town

About travb


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.