Existing Member?

The Warm Heart of Africa - Malawi!

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - My Big Adventure

WORLDWIDE | Sunday, 27 March 2011 | Views [331] | Scholarship Entry

"WARM HEART OF AFRICA"

Six in the morning and the bus station was buzzing with activity already, like an ant colony; everyone in a rush to get on the right bus and reach their destination. On my way to find the bus to Nkhata Bay I was offered plenty of help; smiling locals everywhere some with an agenda of their own - not to help you, but to rob you. However, I quickly learned that you just had to act like you knew what you were doing and learn a few helpful phrases.

The trip took a total of eight hours on a semi-comfortable chair, half of the journey driving on a single lane road for traffic going both ways. We were on our own little African roller coaster taking turns at high speed with a bus packed full like sardines squeezed into a tin.

The small town of Nkhata Bay was like a pot of African spices filling up all your senses from the sounds of local music filling up the evening air, to the smell of fish that had been caught that day down to the all the tightly packed local market stalls. That night I caught the Ilala ferry to Chizumulu Island, yet it was here where I learned the true meaning of "African Time".

We left port three hours later than planned after surviving the ordeal of actually getting on the ferry. In my haste in getting on as soon as possible I was caught in a human stampede of locals shoving and pushing to secure a free seat in third class. Have never been so afraid of being trampled into the earth, not until I felt a little hand reach into my pocket with a little wide eyed boy staring back at me. Caught in the moment I yelled at him something in Chichewa can't even remember, with adrenaline rushing through me after nearly loosing all my money. I was brought back to earth with a taste of reality.

I managed to secure a seat in first class, wouldn't recommend second or third rather pay the extra money for first class. However, if it rains we would be the first to know. Seven hours later the Island came into view. A small fishing boat came out to meat us as the island had no docks of it's own. The whole ferry rocked back and forth as everyone rushed to one side wanting to see the island. My first thoughts were "I need to get off this thing before it goes down like Titanic!"

I stayed at Wakwenda Retreat, the only resort on the island with very affordable accommodation, food and loads of activities ranging from diving to kayaking. It truly is a place of relaxation and beauty with the clearest water I've ever seen and abundant marine life. It turned out to be a week of fun in the sun and relaxation. Malawi truly lived up to it's name of the "Warm Heart of Africa!!!!"

Tags: #2011writing, travel writing scholarship 2011

About transitkarla

Enjoying the day at Lake Malawi.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.