Existing Member?

Tracy's Travels

Musee d'Orsay, Musee Rodin and Musee de la Mode et du Textile

FRANCE | Thursday, 10 October 2013 | Views [144]

Our first trip on the Metro from Hotel de Ville to Palais Royale then a walk through the gardens behind the Louvre (Jardin des Tuileries) on our way to the Musee d'Orsay. The garden lawns are 'mowed' by curly-horned goats as we saw one hard at work (we named him Whipper). Very glad I purchased a Paris Museum Pass before I left Australia when I saw the length of the queue at the Musee d'Orsay! Oh, I've just remembered the soldiers which we've seen everywhere - the airport, the train stations, at tourist attractions and just walking down the street. They travel in groups of three and have their machine guns poised ready to shoot anybody and everybody in sight. MACHINE GUNS!!!

The Musee d'Orsay was spectacular and the sculptures on display absolutely amazing. I particularly liked the ones by a chap called Jean-Baptiste Carpeaux who I hadn't even heard of before. Many of the sculptures were massive things. It got to the point where I was looking at marble busts and thinking: "Mate, you clearly weren't even trying."

I then walked to the Musee Rodin and was a little concerned on the way that I may be disappointed after the wonder of the Musee d'Orsay.. But I shouldn't have been worried at all. It was breathtaking. In fact, I literally had to remind myself to breathe while I was in there. The Rodin sculptures like The Thinker, The Kiss and Jeune Ville au Chapeau Fleuri are truly beyond compare.

Another walk back over the other side of the River Seine across a bridge which was a work of art in itself. I think it was called the Pont Alexandre III. There are no permanent exhibitions at the Musee de la Mode et du Textile as the clothes are too precious and fragile. I was lucky enough to be there for a temporary exhibition on the History of Underwear! Quite fascinating really (and a bit funny too). Although I must say I'm very glad I was born in an era when comfort is a consideration in the design of underwear.

Out to dinner again before going to bed. I could easily get used to eating out every night. Especially when all the food is so very yummy!

 

 

 

About tracyfrance2013


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.