Existing Member?

Vulpro February 2014 The story of one vulture mad woman on a trip to learn more about the plight of the Cape Vulture in South Africa

Getting Ready To Go To Vulpro

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 23 January 2014 | Views [157]

I've been very lucky in that Kerri Wolter at Vulpro in South Africa has given me the opportunity to travel out there to see and experience her amazing work on the conservation of the Cape Vulture.

 

Gone are the days when I could just grab a bag and go.

As life goes on we gather more and more baggage no matter how light we try to live. So it's been a flurry of organisation.

Got my tetanus innoculation updated because in all honesty I can't remember the last time I had one.  Now this is largely down to my absolute horror of injections, this from a woman who gets 'stabbed' regularly by sharp little (or large) talons!!  Can't say I understand it, it's totally irrational but there you go.  Still, I've got it done now and that's me sorted for another 10 years.

Got my flight booked and was surprised at how, relatively, inexpensive it was. Got my transport from OR Tambo Airport and back again organised. Got my parking booked at Heathrow - horribly expensive.

Medical and travel insurance was a little more challenging, the mere mention of vultures had an alarmingly negative response from most insurance companies - if they only could see what I do on a daily basis!

House and bird sitting organised with a very kind friend who flies his own, very famous, Golden Eagle, so no worries there.

Dogs booked in to the wonderful House of Canine kennels where they are always blissfully happy with my bestie Caroline.

Boring shopping stuff done - I'm no great shopper but needs must.

Now it's just a matter of waiting for the day to come round - can't wait.

 

 

About traceybirdgirl


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.