Existing Member?

herbert and i

Onto Lima and a journeys rest

PERU | Wednesday, 10 September 2008 | Views [594] | Comments [6]

Trujillo to Lima was always going to be a long day on the road. The wind whistling around the biuldings in Trujillo also told me it would be a tiring day fighting it. In customary fashion i rode around trying to work out how to exit the city, at least it gave the air a chance to warm slightly. For the first time in months i was cold whilst on the bike. The desert stretched out before me about 500kms to Lima and not much in between. The scenery again was spectacular although the wind made it all the more difficult to enjoy. Sand blasted into me and the bike,  the wind had me riding at an angle, riding over and around sand drifts which covered the road. To their credit the have crews shovelling sand all day long to try and clear it from the roads. Stretches of desert oasis studded the valleys, using the ancient irrigation systems the desert is being cultivated with amazing success. This gave relief from the sand blasting and added colour to the constant dirty white of the sand.

At 4.30 i decided to find a place still 80 kms from Lima, bracing myself for the traffic chaos i had to face the next day. Leaving town early i arrived on the outskirts of Lima at 7.30, the traffic slowly biult up until the main through road was moving at a snails pace. No one sticks to their lanes this was easily the worst traffic of the trip, the cars buses and trucks all belching smoke and sounding those bloody horns, pushing in stopping for no reason. I stopped off to the side totally flustered and of course with no idea where to go. Finally in despair i stopped and asked a motorcycle policeman, he volunteered to take me to the outskirts of Miraflores the suburb i was aiming for. With siren blazing he led me on an amazing ride through the city, mounting footpaths and stopping traffic so we could get through. We stopped on the main Miraflores road and shook hands, as he took off i just stood there exhausted, relieved and feeling a real sense that i had reached a milestone, the fourth stage of my journey had ended. I had made it to Lima and a rest for us both herbert and I.

Its strange i really needed the break but now i am raring to go again. The week kicking back doing my Spanish classes how useful it was to me i dont really know. I have enjoyed drinking great coffee and the food here in Lima is as good as anywhere. The tours with Kylie will be something of a change, although looking forward to them i would like to take Herbert with me. I have tried explaining but he doesnt understand why i am leaving him behind. Maybe a trip to Chile will make him feel better.

After a week of relative anonymity, without a soul talking to me. Herbert was taken out for a run. Within 5 minutes of sitting down for a coffee, i was approached by a man who rides a Harley. After a chat, breakfast which he payed for, he has invited us both to dinner, its incredible how Herbert opens doors and hearts. All of this in just the hotel changeover. The hotel have offered to store Herbert for a couple of weeks, i am happy about that, the car park is undercover and behind security gates. I will disconnect the battery and cover him and then say a sad goodbye. The next stage with Herbert southern Peru and then onto Chile and the Atacama Desert.

Comments

1

A police escort........only Tony. I love it!

  Vi Sep 10, 2008 1:23 PM

2

What a hoot! If only he had known he was escorting a desperado from the Cuenca Black Riders......
Have a good rest and stay safe
Kathleen

  KATHLEEN Sep 10, 2008 4:11 PM

3

Your journey and adventures are really quite amazing and I suspect the generosity and warmth that you've experienced says just as much about the people you have met as it does the person that you are Tony.

In a word.....incredible!

Here's to a well deserved "break"

  Gary Khoo Sep 11, 2008 8:15 PM

4

Not only Black Riders, but now a police escort with sirens! How can you better that? 5 more sleeps and you will be with K who is counting the hours now. Our love, buena suerte! E & P

  Elaine and Paul Sep 12, 2008 10:19 AM

5

What a way to finish off that leg of the journey! How's the coffee? Ha ha, I'll have one for you...now for the next part of your adventure, will you still continue to give us a running commentary? Hope so! We'll be checking up on you, ok?! Love Annette, John & Millie (Hasta La Vista, Baby)

  Annette Edwards Sep 13, 2008 9:10 PM

6

Hola marido mi - Herbert will be with us in spirit, as will your friends and family, who have been following your adventures every step of the way. As for me - the 18 weeks of waiting is finally over. See you for dinner on Wednesday night, but no grilled guinea pig for me thanks! - how could I eat a relative of Marmaduke Jinks & Tiddlywinks?! All my love xx Kylie

  Kylie Graham Sep 15, 2008 3:47 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.