Existing Member?

herbert and i

Say goodbye to Alberta

CANADA | Monday, 2 June 2008 | Views [477] | Comments [1]

I leave Canmore in bright sunshine and head back towards Lake Louise and Banff to travel the Los Glaciers Highway to Revelstoke. Lakes and Glaciers again close to the road talk about sensory overload. Stop in Revelstoke and am going to stay on but being early i decide to keep moving towards the Okonagen and Nakusp. The scenery changes to rolling hills green and alive with insect life as my helmet is pelted by swarms of all sorts of flying bugs. I reach shelter Bay and miss my ferry across upper arrow Lake by 4 minutes an hour later i am boarding the ferrry for a 25 minute crossing, so calm not a ripple on the lake. Ride on to Nakusp and spend the night in a campsite all on my own, extremely peaceful and a warmish night for the first time under canvas.

The next morning head south to Fauquier for another crossing of the same lake to needles. What a glorious ride through rich verdant rolling hills and farms. The smell of cut grass in the air its good to be out on the road one of lifes moments captured and hopefully before dementure sets in remembered always. I meet some other bikers SOB's surveyors on bikes one invites me to stay at his place in Vancouver it may not match up time wise. On the advice of one of the fellows i head towards Kamloops and Pemberton. Straight forward until i reach the narrow twisty road from Lillooet to Pemberton. It was in terrible condition lots of gravel strewn corners as well as roadworks. Up ahead a huge cloud of dust covered the road i wondered what it was then i realised my first rock slide as bits of stone and all sorts lay across the road, another a little further up and then i had reached Pemberton. I decided i would stop there for the night.

Comments

1

Glad to see your making steady progress Tony...I love the "Tire" saga...By the time you get this you should be in Vancouver....keep in touch, by the way, How'd u like Whistler?
rgds
David

  David Austin Jun 2, 2008 8:06 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.