Existing Member?

herbert and i

Watson Lake hmm!

CANADA | Tuesday, 27 May 2008 | Views [360]

The next day was clear again if not a little cold but at least it wasnt raining. I spent the morning looking around Whitehorse very pretty by the waterfront but not much to keep me there too long. I headed south towards Watson Lake. On my morning coffee stop i looked at my rear tyre again no knobs left, oh shit. The next 300kms or so were ridden at 60kms per hour. I got to see lots of wildlife at least, Black Bears, a tan looking one i thought it might be a grizzly, lots of moose, caribou, deer and bison. The weather was glorious and the scenery once again beautiful more snow covered mountains, frozen lakes and rivers. By the time i reached Watson Lake i was in need of a rest but was advised by a local to move on as it wasnt safe once the drunks came out. 250kms to Laird Hot Springs, so on i rode till exhausted once more i reached the campsite, set up and fell asleep around midnight.

I woke a little worried about the tyre it had held on but was rather unstable on the road wobbling oand sliding with bits coming of the centre. So once again a slow ride south to Fort Nelson hoping someone would have one there no such luck. The ride again was through similar scenery to the last 2 days with a high passs where snow was still covering the road sides and frozen lakes and rivers everywhere. I Had reached British Colombia and the scenery started to change to conifer, green rather than the grey and struggling trees of the Yukon. Beautiful but not as dramatic as the past days, softer and gentler in appearance.A lot of places were still closed along the way so my options were limited to a noisy campsite, laundry my first shower for a few days and grocery shopping.

 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.