Existing Member?

Tonielle's European Adventure "It's always better on holiday, so much better on holiday. That's why we only work when... we need the money." - Franz Ferdinand

Swine flu, snakebites and sunburn

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 25 May 2009 | Views [911] | Comments [2]

Hi everyone,

Shortly after I finished the last story, mum suggested that I should go to the doctor to get a checked: "I don't want to alarm you, but you might have swine flu, so just go and check". I found a free walk-in clinic, and I was worried that as soon as I wrote "flu" on the form, I would have been quarantined and not seen for weeks. Turned out I did have the flu, but not of the pig kind.

Thursday night, I met up with Shannon and Megan (Grace's friends) and went to this pub called "The Slug", and Aussie bar and drank snakebites, which are half pint fosters, half cider and a swig of red cordial. Sounds disgusting, and I don't drink beer anyway, never mind Fosters!!! But it was really quite good, and cheap. Had a really good night there dancing to "you're the voice" and ACDC. Ended up staying at Kylie's place (one of the girls there) since it was too hard to try to get to my hostel after the tube shut (at midnight, can you believe it?). Lost my voice, and probably put my recovery back, but heaps of fun.

Friday, I made my way back to the hostel, and went to visit Trafalga Square and the art gallery. I got to see some of Picasso's prints, Van Gogh and Monet. Got so excited when I saw "Van Gogh's Chair"... I'm not sure why, I think it's because we studied it at school and I'd always seen pictures of it, and then seeing it for real, was awesome. Ended up at Westminster Abbey, as was going to do mass at 5pm, (just to see inside for free) but the priest out the front was telling everyone that it was quite a dull service today, so only if you're really into it, to go it. It was probably a test, now that I think about it, but either way, I didn't go in. :)

Saturday was Tate Modern (which was awesome! got to see Jackson Pollack, Kandinsky, Monet's "Water Lillies" and Picasso's "Weeping Woman" and some Salvador Dali) and Tower Bridge, and then I met up with a Jack the Ripper tour. It was quite good, hearing about all the dark stories of London, met some pretty cool chicks there too, and ended up meeting them at the pub crawl that night also. Our pub crawl group was the biggest they'd ever had - 137 people! Was a bit too big, but I had fun. Also got shortchanged 10pound by a guy at the bar!!! so pissed off, I've since been back, and they still won't do anything about it!

Sunday, glorious Sunday... the sun was out ALL day! I even got burnt! which wasn't good, but I wasn't the only one. Apparently England has a worse case of skin cancer than Australia, simply because when the sun does come out, everyone roasts themselves! I met up with Kylie and her friend, and we checked out Speakers Corner in Hyde Park (see video above). The tradition is you stand on something, and as long as you believe what you're talking about, you are free to say anything! This is where "get on your soapbox" came from. So we walked around, enjoying all the crazies... mostly regigion, some just weird. Then ended up in Hammersmith and had a few drinks outside the pub, on the grass, was awesome! There is no way you can do that in Australia.

So today, I need to book some form of accomodation in Paris for tomorrow, and then hopefully we're finding some cheap last minute theatre tickets to see Wicked tonight... hopefully! haha

xoxo

photos: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2020852&id=219300161&l=14854fdfc7

Tags: hammersmith, hyde park, london, speakers corner, tate modern, tower bridge

Comments

1

Sounds like you are having too much fun! I am sure you would much rather be back at work. Are all the "friends" on holidays too? Now to give Paris a flogging! love Dad

  Dad May 26, 2009 8:52 AM

2

sounds awesome! I definitely have to travel after i finish uni and pay back mum and dad :P

  michael Jun 2, 2009 11:47 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.