Existing Member?

Cycle Tours

Huntly to Matamata

NEW ZEALAND | Thursday, 7 January 2016 | Views [335]

The weather seemed a lot fairer today than the day before, it was raining on and off, but the wind had picked up a little bit. We thought it was a good idea after how close some of the traffic got yesterday to purchase some high vis jackets to wear over our clothes, so the first stop in Huntly was to get that and some food for the day.

Having looked at the map the day before we knew we didn't have too far to go and there wasn't really any hills between Huntly and Matamata that we would cross so we allowed ourselves a 10am start aiming to get there mid afternoon. We only had to cover 70k and about 220m of elevation so it was going to be a short day.

The route was not too bad, good for slightly tired legs after the shock they received the day previous although the wind picked up on the long straight roads making life a bit harder, but we still found time to get a few action shots as modelled by myself. We lunched early on cheese and chorizo sandwiches and cracked on with the rural riding.

We had been unsure of what we were going to come across in this areodrome campsite as our last had washing machines and good hot showers so we didn't want to get our hopes up. We knocked on the 'office' door and we were welcomed by a kiwi man with bleech blonde hair, two diamontaaays, pink t shirt and a pair of very clingey pink jogging bottoms.  5 minutes later we had been persuaded to stay in his spare room for the night for a reduced price, a meal and beers.

We were more than a little cautious not really knowing what we had got ourselves into. It was clear the owner, Bevan, probably only had eyes for me, which was made even funnier for Alice when once I had stripped down to my Lycra Bevan appeared at the door to "show me how the shower works."

Once all clean we sat down chatted, had a few bottles and a meal and thought nothing more of our worries, settling into bed at a very early hour.

 

About tomnzalice


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.