Existing Member?

Cycle Tours

Auckland to Huntly

NEW ZEALAND | Thursday, 7 January 2016 | Views [359]

Even though it was pouring down with rain, we were excited to be hopping on to the saddle and begin our adventure. Travellers we had met so far thought we were bonkers for cycling that far, but this just made us more determined. Spirits high we were peddling out of Auckland up a fairly steel hill and then a drunk lady stumbled in the road, looking like she was just crossing and then suddenly turned to me with a stern look and I thought EHOH and thud she punched me on the shoulder. Luckily her drunk friends pulled her back and apologised and so we peddled off. Of all the scenarios I thought may occur on this trip, that was not one of them.

It continued to rain throughout the day and the wind was against us for the 112km we covered. We plodded along the flat terrain, shaking off the equal amount of cobwebs on each of our bikes. Due it being very cloudy and the majority of the surroundings being residential only a selfie was taken that day.

We arrived at the Huntly, lake Hakanoa, campsite absolutely drenched, but a good hot shower and some homemade pizza from a fellow camper sorted us out. Everyone we met at this campsite were intrigued of our route, asking are we going here or there with both Tom and I responding with blank expressions and sticking with a nod or yeh I think so. 

 

About tomnzalice


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.