Existing Member?

Inaccessible Myanmar Myanmar round trip April 2011

On single speed bike around Bagain temples in baking hot sun

MYANMAR | Wednesday, 13 April 2011 | Views [627]

Me and my single speed bike!

Woke up before 07:00 to get some pics of the sunrise over the Bagan plain. We didn´t really managed to leave the hotel before 07:30 so it was a bit too late for taking pics. No problem. I´m a kick ass photographer so I figured, I´ll take some great pics in the mid day, baking hot sun and harsh shadows. And I did J and they all came out just perfect. To my defence, we had an ambitious goal to wake up at 06:00. Then we remembered...OH...VACATION,,,OK and slept in.
Anyway, we rented bicycles at teh hotel. “Robin Hood” Single Speed kick ass bikes! A relic from the colonial times
J.  They were quite OK really. Normal bikes, nu fuss. No bloody mountain bikes where all you energy is transferred to rocking the bike up and down instead of pushing the bike forward with the power of your body. Off we went. It was still before 08:00, hence no hawkers at the major sites. Except for one location. We left that temple quickly. We managed to get several temples to ourselves. Most of the guides start their tours at around 08:00 and we were long time on the road by then. We crossed the whole Bagain plain all the way to the tarmac road gig around it. Partly pushing the bikes across the fields. The sandy road were actually not that hard to ride on. Not as dusty as you might think and quite easy to ride on. Mostly packed sand. Every time we made a detour we managed to hit a thorn-zone! There were so many thorns in our tires that it was ridiculous! HAHAHAHHAAA I mean, the mother of a mine field for bikes! We pushed the bike through those areas and then scraped the thorns off with some twigs before we continued on the road. We met several locals going out to the fields to work. There are regular fields with crops growing on them all over the area between the temples. The plain also serves as a pasture for goats and cows. A real living cultural landscape. So, we cycled around on the sandy labyrinth. You could actually cross the complete plain in around 25 minute of easy riding if you go straight. We didn´t J.  We hit the tarmac again and continued to New Bagan and Minkaba villages. In the mid water festival, we were open pray to all kids with water guns, scoops and buckets of water so we ended up cycling wet most of the time. Not that it was a problem since it was round 40C in the shadow. THERE WAS NO SHADOW THOUGH! No worries, the air is so dry that +27C in Scandinavia feels much more hot then +40C in Myanmar. At least we seemed to generate a lot of joy for the local kids. Stayed at some local restaurants along the way for a beer or two. We observed the locals being hit with tons of water to everybody’s enjoyment.

The beer stop in New Bagan was kind of cool. The Female Boss had all her children’s graduation photos and all vacation photos posted on the walls in the pub. And why not? She spent all day there so why hide it? There were no organised trips at the moment so she had the time to show us all the photos and explain every scene. We had a lot of laughs and then we continued to the Minkaba village. Boy did we get wet! Not only from all the local watering stations but also from all passing cars, busses, mopeds etc. The worst case was when a moped sneaked up behind you and poured ice cold water on your back from behind....GEEZAAS it was cold hahahhaa.  I started to squirt some water back at the attacker from my own drinking bottle and that generated tons of laugh from all the passing attacker that got hit back J. Talk about bringing the customs to the localsJ. We sat down and had three beers in a shop with some chairs outside the main monument in Minkaba. It was a blast watching the locals repair mopeds, singing, getting water for their water guns/buckets, hawking, see the kids planning to shower someone with water etc. Like sitting in the front row in a theater. Sweet! We then rode back for lunch, passed our hotel, to the lunch outside the Tharaba gate to Sarababab II. Ordered some fish and stuff for 13000 chats. The food was so and so. Nothing special really. We had some American "backpacker wannabes” as company at the table beside us.  Counted the word "like" like .... 9 times in one minute...”like, you know...like, it´s like spaced out here in Myanmar”. I guess they use “like” instead of the coma. AND YES! IF YOU DIDN`T WASH for a wek, have dirty clothes and if try to behave like a “backpacker” what do you order???? PIZZA OF COURSE! So did they.

We headed back to the hotel and relaxed at the pool.  I´m not much for relaxing so I went on a walk on the river sand bank afternoon walk. Kind of like being in the desert but not really since we saw the river. The water in the river was way cooler they yesterday during my midday walk. Maybe it was raining up in the mountains? We sat down on sand dunes and watched the sun go down. Much better then sharing a temple sundown with 300 other "local people" and fat Americans in sandals walking around holy temples, smoking and spitting around.

We splashed out this evening. Fakk it! You only live once, I guess, since I´m a Roman Catholic. Had a lobster and a fisherman’s plate at the hotel for 60USD. That included 2 beers. Not really cheap but hell, how often do you eat lobster for 20 USD???? And show me a fisherman eating like I did that night...right....

Going to bed early...a whole day biking ahead of us!

Tags: bagain, minkaba, new bagain

About tomaszo


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Myanmar

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.