Existing Member?

Inaccessible Myanmar Myanmar round trip April 2011

Last lazy day in Yangon

MYANMAR | Tuesday, 5 April 2011 | Views [699]

Woke up at 06:00 to sounds of a disco? WTF! No, it was the busy Kandawgyi lake walk with a sound system full on. The walk was filled with walking/running "local people" as our guide used to say. At 07:15 new batch of the fat/less fat/well trained Myanmar people started to run or walk to the sounds of Lady Gaga or whoever.

So what do we do today? We´ve seen most of the sites and the “must see” stuff by now. So we slept in and woke up past the hotel breakfast time. We decided to give the Monsson one more chance for an early lunch. It was closed shut around 19:00 the day before so we were reluctant to go but what the hell. The sign on the door says open till 21:00. Located in a beautiful colonial building they served very nice food. They even had pizzas and other junk food on the menu. So the Monsoon: nice food, nice decor and a nice shop on the top floor. The downside was that they played some covers of ABBA, and it ended with Spanish version of FERNANDO. FAKK ME! I almost killed my self slowly. Wonder who agave them that shit CD. The Mohinge soup and the biff were excellent. Bought a t-shirt with local texts (Shin Lu Soe Gi – Naughty boy). That should bring some smiles from the ladies. And it did :D.

After lunch we walked around the merchant street in the midday heat to the Scott/Bagyoke market. Stopped at some cafés on the way, to cool down.  Did ot find any proper bookstore where it was supposed to be but managed to buy some old Burmese folks tales on merchant street. Strolled around and haggled on the market, Geezas how low can you get? I had to use every trick in the book to get the lower prices! Complaining about my wife stealing all my money, that I´m hot and I´m suffering from the heat, that I have blue eyes (works wonders in China) etc. Ended up buying some souvenirs for friends and nice Chan ceremonial knife for myself.

Took a cab back to the lake and bought the 2usd ticket for the walk around the lake. Midday heat tired and sweating rivers, it wasn´t really a nice thing to do. Even the pseudo Royal barge, the Karaweik, looked best from our hotel pool. We did stay at the hotel just 4 meters from the walk :D so the best way to experience the walk is to lay in the pool with a cold beer and watch people walking around on it.

In the afternoon we went shopping at the Dagon centre. No much to say about that. Bought me a pair of new Converse and then we walked to the 19th street where we had a great meal again! Around 12000 chats for whole grilled fish filled with some spicy paste and some beers.

Tags: 19th street, dagon shopping mall, kandawgyi lake walk, yangon

About tomaszo


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Myanmar

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.