Existing Member?

Journey to the Summit This journal records progress to my first goal, a long time desire to learn, converse & dream in Spanish and a 2nd goal continue training in Guatemala for my future summit of Mt. Rainier, Washington.

The Making of Alfombras

GUATEMALA | Friday, 10 April 2009 | Views [1813] | Comments [1]

Tom & Semana Santa tradition  an alfrombra (rug) produced using tinted sawdust in street around El Parque Central that passes in front of the Cathedral.

Tom & Semana Santa tradition an alfrombra (rug) produced using tinted sawdust in street around El Parque Central that passes in front of the Cathedral.

One of more interesting rituals is the making of alfombras (rugs) in the street of the square around Parque Central. These colorful "rugs" are made with layers of tinted sawdust. My understandings is that groups from various churches arrive around 5 AM on Friday and begin these creations. Later that morning a procession with andas will walk over the rugs after which the sawdust is swept away. I am here in front of one. I counted 5 in all and this week's gallery has photos of aspects of each. The processions start at 8 AM and finish up around midnight.

Comments

1

pretty amazing "rugs" I can't imagine disturbing them!

  audrey Apr 20, 2009 1:58 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.