Existing Member?

Holidaying in the New World

Did you know?

INDIA | Wednesday, 11 February 2009 | Views [359]

These words were taken from the indian languages:

Veranda, Bungalow, sandal, pyjamas, shampoo, jungle, turban, caste, chariot, chilli, cardamon and yoga.

My Italian conpanion and i are staying with an italian woman in Kovalam beach, near trivandrum. the woman is having an illicit affair with an indian toy boy from the village, big local gossip.

the woman is hard and stubborn, the kind of character you wouldn't want to cross. the affair seems to be quite serious. as a result, she is very careful what she does and says in public. she has become annoyed with me and my friend as we haven't been as sensitive to local feeling. this town is a lazy seaside town. money is made from the tourists, most of which can be directly taken from curry houses in england. they personify the curry house. most are ageing couples that eat very large meals in the evening, in total silence.

there is a lot of curtain tweeking here, so gossip is one of the main past times. the italian woman's house has a large white roof terrace. when everyone was out, i thought i'd take the opportunity to do a spot of naked sunbathing. she came back an hour or so later and had a go at me. nudity here is not cricket, so since that inccident, are relationship has been a bit strained.

to take a break from strict rules of the italian woman's house, we headed to kanniyakumari, the southern most tip of india. this is the point where 3 seas meet, the indian, bay of bengal and lakshadweep. no one really speaks english, and eating rice with your hands is the only way. the food is very good, but the sauces are very runny and the with rice, it proves quite a challenge.

the food has been very good, although constantly spicy. i tried the meat, but won't be again! i eat a lot of meals with paneer. it is indian cheese similar to mozerella. it makes a really nice alternative to meat. a really nice indian drink i had never tried in england is the lassi. it tastes like a mixture of milk and yoghurt, with sugar and sometimes cardoman. also available is the bhang lassi, which is mixed with ganja.

im currently killing 12 hours of time in bangalore, before a train to hampi tonight. its the second largest manufacturer of software in the world and this is very visible. the building are high and ralentless, the roads are wide filled with constant traffic. the only positive of the incoming wealth is beautiful parks with a wide variety of trees, monkeys and birds.  

About tog


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.