Existing Member?

Trip of a Lifetime Our 10 month journey around the world.

Cape Town - South Africa

SOUTH AFRICA | Friday, 14 May 2010 | Views [345]

April 30 - May 12 (Cape Town)

We arrived in Cape town to a Cool 16deg and cloudy day. We arrived late and stayed at a 5 star backpacker hostel for the night in a 8 person dorm.  This is the first time we slept in a dorm that big. Holly was still a little sick and had been snoring the last few nights, however the guy below here was much worse and it was ok just for the night. We decided the dorm was out and the 5 star accommodation (ie high prices) wer3e not for us.  We Ventured on to another place that was closed to down town and the waterfront.  The Big Blue hostel would be the home for us for the next 8 days and was much more our laid back style. We saw a break in the weather so we decided to tackle the climb up Table Mountain.  We caught the city tour bus in the morning for a sightseeing tour of the town and it’s history and then got off the bus at the cable car station.  We were rested and felt good so we decided to climb to the top instead of taking the cable car up.   About half way Holly was winded and I was petering fast.  It was quite the steep accent.  It was suppose to take 2.5 hours but we managed it in just over an hour with me pushing Holly the last 20 feet..  Lol.   The views from the top were 360 deg of ocean and city views.   It was quit a bit cooler about 10 deg at the top so we went to the Table top restaurant for some hot chocolate and a breather before snapping some more shots of the magnificent view.  We decided  that the cable car was the way to go on the way down and took the 2 minute ride to the bottom.  It was then back on the bus to see the rest of the city including the cost beaches ie. Camps Bay where the stars are said to hang out.  No stars today but we walked the beach and haggled with the vendors.  One more hop on the bus and back to the famous Long Street to see the shops and backpacker seine. It was only a 15 minute walk back to the hostel for dinner and relaxing while watching TV before bed.  We decided that if the weather held that we would rent a car and go to the Cape Point reserve to see the most Southern point of  Africa and just maybe the ostrich and Zebra’s.  We woke early and headed to Thrifty cars to get our Hyundai Alto.  Probably the smallest car I have ever driven.  It did feel bigger inside than out..  We headed off down the coast road and found our way through the toll road to the Cape.  It was a nice drive along the coast out to the point.  Once though the gate we were only one minute in and I spotted the ostriches just off the road so I pulled over and ventured out to get a good shot.  It was a little unnerving as once I got close they stood a good 2 feet taller than me and had a look like I was about to wish I wasn’t so close, so I quickly snapped a shot and hurried back to the car.  We continued out to the point where Holly was not happy to see more stairs and another steep climb to the lighthouse and Southern Point as she was a little sore from the days before adventure.  We pressed on anyway and can know say we have been to the South Western most point of Africa as well.  We took it easy heading back stopping at a few bays watching crazy people take a quick dip in the chilly waters.  We hadn’t seen the Zebra and were on the lookout but no luck, they didn’t want to be found that day.   Back to the Hostel for dinner.  The next few days would just be spent walking the waterfront a little shopping and I even got my hair cut as I was approached by a cute young girl that said she was learning to cut hair and needed a model. I was chatting her up when Holly came along and ruined it for me  LOL  just kidding.  I did get her to cut my hair, I figured how bad could it go wrong as I just wanted it shaved short.  So off we went. One hour later I think Holly was ready to get the clippers out and just shave my head.  The hair stylist asked her boss about every little step and in the end did a great job..   Last couple days the weather was not the best so we just hung out at the hostel and had popcorn and movie nights.   Off to Egypt today on another 12hr day of travel that we are not looking forward to but we are ready to move on to the warmth and craziness that we expect to mirror India. At least I will be able to get a decent burger.  

 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.