Existing Member?

On the Loose My feet get bored and itchy.

Still in Quito

ECUADOR | Saturday, 14 June 2008 | Views [807] | Comments [3]

Travel is really, I think, mostly about good people. On that end, this trip has been excellent so far. I stayed at the hostal in Gringoland (the tourist district of Quito) for two nights. There I met people from Chile, Columbia, Holland, and different parts of Ecuador. Gerardo and I and some others that he knew in the area went to a club across the street from the hostal and played pool for much of my second night. I expect that me and Gerard will be traveling together in the near future before he travels to Columbia.

Yesterday I met up with a Couchsurfer named Pablo for a quick chat and he gave me some ideas on where to go during my trip and invited me to join him and a few of his friends in Otovalo next weekend for the summer solstice festival.

I then met my current host Carlos. How do I describe my experience with Carlos... he met me at the hostal with his friend Luis and we went straight to a mall for a wine tasting. I´m sure we looked like a silly bunch- the gringa with the backpack, Luis wearing a suit, and Carlos (the mono) mocking Luis much of the time. We then caught a bus to the end of the world to go to Luis´graduation (only in Couchsurfing). After trekking half the globe Carlos and I were not fancy enough to enter, and Luis nearly missed being called and was the only person in the ceremony not in a cap and gown.

We then went to Sangolqui, where Luis´ parents live and I met his father and spoke with him a bit in broken Spanish. At a small, open air place not far from his house we ate tripe and mote and had some beer for dinner. We had intended to go to a party when we arrived back in Quito, but everybody fell asleep within three minutes of getting to Carlos` house.

Luis and Carlos are great, and both are pretty fluent in English. But to allow all of us practice they speak in English and I in Spanish. We are a crazy bunch.

At some point yesterday I bought a phone for my trip... and at some point later in the day, I lost it. I imagine it fell out of my bag when we were jumping on a moving bus in the rain. At least that makes the best story. Pretty upsetting- but what can you do?

Later this evening I believe that we will head to a city outside of Quito, Ibarra, for a festival or party or something.

Pictures to come.

Comments

1

Sounds like you're having fun. Be Safe! You will be in my prayers daily as continue this adventure!

Love ya lots!

Aunt Pam

  Pamela Martin Jun 17, 2008 12:24 AM

2

Forget about what I said about wanting to do what yu do. You lost me with the tripe. What is mote? I'll opt for luxury hotels and good food

  Grandma Jun 17, 2008 12:54 AM

3

Taryn, you are a courageous gal, I'll give you that! It sounds like you are on a wonderful adventure. We conservatives will just adventure vicariously through you. :-)

Have a safe and fun trip!

Sandy

  Sandy Jun 27, 2008 12:04 AM

About tnashbu


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.