Existing Member?

Tegan & Ingrid's world adventure

“These Pretzels are making me thirsty!”

GERMANY | Monday, 10 October 2011 | Views [890]

Tegans 1st Oktoberfest Beer (was so thirsty I couldnt wait even for the photo)

Tegans 1st Oktoberfest Beer (was so thirsty I couldnt wait even for the photo)

Perhaps the most surprising aspect of Oktoberfest is the fact that if you weren’t a drinker you could visit Oktoberfest and not even know there were 14 gigantic beer tents full of copious amounts of alcohol just nearby (until about 6pm when the really drunk ones start to stubble out of the tents and into the show grounds). The fact is, Oktoberfest is much more than just beer drinking. Think the Melbourne Show but twice as big, and then add on the 12 Beer tents! The place is a giant carnival style amusement park; full of roller-coasters, haunted houses, skill testing stalls and many, many food stands. Meanwhile, just in the next street over, is what all Australians have heard Oktoberfest to be. Twelve Beer tents, each the size of a major supermarket, each packed full to the absolute brim with a combination of Munich locals, German and International visitors downing beer steins the size of pitchers in an overwhelming array of merriness and comradery.

We arrived in Munich early afternoon after a relatively short train ride from Lucerne, Switzerland. The first thing we saw stepping off the train onto the platform was a sea of Lederhosen (for the guys) and Dirndls (for the girls). We both were initially quite taken back at the sheer number of these traditionally clad people in Munich’s main train station, and it quickly dawned on us exactly how much of a big deal this was, not just to locals, but also to all that travelled to Munich from afar to join the festivities. Speaking to one of the girls working in our hostel later on, she explained to us that no more than five years ago you could quite easily tell the locals from the tourists, as only locals wore the traditional outfits. However, in recent years absolutely everyone has jumped on the bandwagon (which in my books isn’t a bad thing, as everyone looked amazing!). This has also proved quite lucrative to local shop keepers who have been making an absolute killing selling these outfits to foreigners at around 100 Euros a pop (about $130AUD)! Needless to say, sadly we did not join in for two reasons – cost, and the fact that we had zero extra room in our bags for new clothes (especially ones we would not be wearing again on our travels – OK, maybe Halloween, haha.)

After checking in, we wasted no time in getting straight into the madness. Being a Sunday, the place was chockers! We thought for sure we wouldn’t be getting into the beer tents seeing as it was now around 3pm and everyone had told us that on the weekend you basically need to rock up in the morning if you want any chance of a seat. So we decided to explore first. We walked around the festival looking at all there was to see and do, getting our bearings. Then by about 5pm we were feeling quite thirsty. So we gave getting a seat a crack. It turned out to be quite easy in the end. Each of the beer tents generally had an outdoor section of seating as well as indoor which tended to not be quite as busy. So we sat down, and after a brief wait for the waitress to come over and take our order, she shortly returned with our very first two mountain-like one litre steins of German beer. My god was the wait worth it.
We started chatting to few German guys who had travelled in from out of town for the day. They were extremely friendly to say the least – especially once we explained that these were our first ever beers of our first ever day of our first ever visit to Oktoberfest! They gave us a bit of a low-down on what you need to know about the Fest; which tents were good, which foods we needed to try, even which beers to be careful with. Because, as they explained, most of the beer at Oktoberfest has been especially brewed for the event, and are generally higher in alcoholic content than regular beers. In fact, that particular beer we were drinking at the time was particularly strong, and we were in for one hell of a night!

Later that afternoon, we visited a couple of other tents before finding a seat inside of one. The tents were incredible! Thousands of people strewn across countless benches and tables all with smiles on their faces and steins in their hands. In the centre of the tents there was a stage which housed a German style Big-band playing all types of tunes (depending on the tent) but generally traditional German folk songs. More and more people would jump up on top of their benches link arms and belt out their best renditions. Especially a particular song that we grew to know quite well, as it was played practically every 30mins. We remember it only as ‘the Cheersing song’; a German song that sings about ‘cheersing’ for this and ‘Cheersing’ for that and at the end we all drink with each other (an instant winner in my book haha).

It didn’t take too long before the two of us were pretty much plastered and making new ‘best friends’ with whoever we happened to be chatting to. Things started to go a bit hazy and we both knew that was enough for one day. After a fun and drunken stagger back to the hostel we hit the hay and practically went into comas.

Day 2 was slightly less intense for us as we were recovering big time from the previous day’s festivities. We took the opportunity to try out some rides and rode one of the most awesome indoor rollercoasters ever! It was pitch black inside except for a laser show and a few strobe lights – fricken wicked! However, later on we still managed to find ourselves in a beer tent or two making more friends and getting merry.

Our third and final day at Oktoberfest was definitely our most fun. After a sneaky stein each with some afternoon tea in one of the beer gardens, listening to some drunken cowboy belting out the chorus of Highway to Hell over and over and over (hilarious to say the least), we found ourselves in arguably the most beautiful of beer tents – Hackerbrau. The place was amazing. The ceiling had been painted like a light blue sky full of stars giving the whole place a bit of a ‘heavenly’ feel to it (considering the amount of beer in the place I’m sure it was a lot of peoples idea of heaven). We managed to find a couple of seats on a table with three girls that, besides their authentic outfits, kind of looked a bit out of place. One girl was from Hong Kong, another from Canada but of Asian descent and the last from Sudan, but all classmates from Uni in London. As it turned out, these girls were by far (and generally against their will) the most popular girls in the tent. Being two Asian girls and one black girl, all stunningly gorgeous, and clad in Dirndls, definitely made its impression on the male population of the tent. While it was at times quite annoying for the girls, constantly being photographed and kissed on the head (mainly by the Italian boys), it also gave both them and us the opportunity to meet and chat to heaps of people from all over the place. A few more steins later and things once again started to get a bit blurry. I can’t quite remember the finer details of the rest of our night, but from what I do remember we all found ourselves on more carnival rides, eating sausages and eventually parting ways. I’m pretty sure the three girls actually had a flight back to London that night! They definitely would have needed some luck being let on that plane!

All in all, Oktoberfest was phenomenally fun, and we would go back in a heart-beat! However next time it would be really cool to have a big group of friends together (any takers?).

Last point: For anyone wishing to go to Oktoberfest, I would definitely recommend getting a private room in a hostel. While the first night for us was fine, the following nights we were stuck in an eight bed dorm with 5 middle-aged Scottish dudes, who had no clue when it came to dorm etiquette. This was the only low point in an otherwise extremely awesome 4 day experience.

 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.