Existing Member?

Tegan & Ingrid's world adventure

“My new least favourite smell – Cheese Fondue”

SWITZERLAND | Thursday, 29 September 2011 | Views [2759]

First

First

I have to admit that our first day in Switzerland (well, travelling to Switzerland at least) was one of the most stressful we have had so far on our trip. We had left Croatia on an overnight train from Zagreb to Venice, and were supposed to arrive at about 7.30 or so. Anyway, 7am comes along, our alarm goes off but we realise that we are still in bloody Slovenia! In fact we were a good 5 hours from Venice. We realised that our ‘full’ day in Venice was now to become a half day, at least that’s what we thought at the time. Once we arrived in Venice we needed to then reserve our place on the evening train into Switzerland. However we were told that everything was absolutely packed already and the only way we’d be getting to Montreux would be the next day, unless we left in the next 20mins. Since we had no choice having already booked (rather pricey) accommodation in Montreux, we had to take whatever route we could to get there. So that was our Venetian experience; 30mins in the train station. Disappointing to say the least.

But enough of the negativity – once we actually arrived in Switzerland we had nothing but the most incredible time during our stay.
Montreux is stunning. Set on a hillside overlooking the Eastern half of Lake Geneva, every street has a postcard view. We were only in Montreux for one night but it was still enough for us to get our first taste of Swiss cuisine. Now since the Swiss are so heavily influenced in all facets of life from the French and Germans, and in some areas the Italians as well, most of Swiss cuisine (along with language) is foreign. However they do have two dishes of their own, both of which everyone should know, Cheese Fondue and Potato Rosti (pronounced Roshti).  I’m not that big of a fan of strong cheese, but I love me a good Rosti, haha. So the next morning we took the ‘Golden Pass – Panoramic’ train from Montreux to Interlaken. I can tell you the only train we’ve been on to rival the scenery on this train is the Rocky Mountaineer in Canada – and that’s saying something! The Swiss alps in early Autumn are simply spectacular. Accompanied by lush green meadows at their base littered with Wooden cabins and Cows, all framed with beautiful Pine trees. It was an amazing journey.

Interlaken has as equally a stunning backdrop as Montreux. Set between two lakes of differing shades of blue, and at the entrance to two giant canyons leading to the triple Peak combination of the Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau. During our stay in Interlaken we made use of our VIP rail passes for the local region generously provided by the local tourism office for Jungfrau.  Each day we travelled up a different mountain railway, all offering beautiful views and a destination equipped with mountaintop restaurants and countless hiking trails.
First we visited Harder Kulm, the lowest elevation of the railways, but I would say definitely the steepest! The 1100m ascent is made in just 8 minutes by the 45 angled tracks the train climbs!
The next day we took what is known as the ‘Romantic’ railway up to Schynige Platte – romantic because of the old style carriages and quaint countryside it passes through. I wouldn’t say it was overly romantic as we chose to travel at the same time as a massive group of elderly German tourists – it was like a geriatric sardine can haha.  We did however get in some good hiking (our first in the Alps). A couple of hours and our untrained tired legs had had enough.
Day three in Interlaken saw us make the journey up to the highest train station in Europe; Jungfraujoch. A station built inside the peak of the Jungfrau one hundred years ago. An incredible feat. Sixteen years to dig the 10km tunnel through the three peaks up to the eventual height of ~3500m at the last stop Jungfraujoch, completed in 1912. Over the years the station has obviously had some big renovations and additions to it, especially once the swiss realised what an amazing tourist attraction they had now created. The complex is now equipped with numerous restaurants, cafes, lookout points, an Ice palace carved out of a glacier that you can walk through (so cool), a snow play area and even helipads for scenic flights. Oh, and the landscape up on top of Jungfrau – jaw dropping (you gotta check the pics). On the way back down, we made another stop to do some more hiking (subconsciously preparing for Oktoberfest me thinks), then took a Cable car down off the mountain straight into the Fog, which was quite eerie.

Our final full day in Interlaken was by far the most fun! That morning we looked at each other and decided “bugger it, we know it’s expensive as all hell, but let’s do it anyways”, and that is when we decided to go Paragliding. Fricken amazing! I can’t fully describe how incredible it was. I will now be pleading like a MoFo with God after I die to send me back as an Eagle for sure!
That afternoon we went for a trip through Grindelwald up to First (pronounced Fee-erst) at the top of a good 12km Cable car journey. The way down the mountain was slightly different. We Zip-lined the first third, hiked the second and then hired mountain scooters for the bottom third. I can tell you, Ingrid is a bit of a speed demon when she wants to be. Every time she has a go at my driving now I will remind her of how she was on those mountain scooters.

Our final day in Switzerland we spent in Lucerne. A gorgeous city just made for fashionistas and shop-o-holics. We spent our time wandering the old city streets and fighting the urge to purchase more clothes which we most definitely do not have the space for.

The next morning we boarded a train bound for Munich and OKTOBERFEST BABY!!!!!

 

 

Travel Answers about Switzerland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.