Existing Member?

www.timeless-travelling.com Read my travel stories, collect informations about low budget travelling and motivate yourself to go on your own trips!

Awesome 20-hour island trip!

TURKEY | Friday, 23 August 2013 | Views [66]

(...)It was already getting dark and after we passed Memet's house who is a Gypsi living in a container on the beach we made our way into the interior of the island. While we were walking up the road a car was coming from behind and with the help of our thumbs we stopped it.^^
The guy in the car drove us up the track and was wondering were we gonna stay so we told him that we will camp somewhere. At a little crossing he asked us if we want to go down the dirt road with him or go up that hill. As we didn't want to walk a lot untill we could go swimming the next morning we decided to turn to the left and left the car. He told us that we will come to another crossing and when we turn to the left there will be a cave after a few hundred metres. It started to drizzle and when we arrived at the crossing we gave up our plan to sleep close to the water and walked to the cave. On the way we saw a strange place beside the road...it was like a self made town out of wood and rubbish. We slowly walked up there and had a look but it was completly empty. Anyway this place was a little uncanny so we decided to look for that canny cave XD....
Maybe ten minutes later we arrived at a huge cave arch and with the last sunrays of the day we built up our bivouacs. With a flash light we went out of the cave and climbed on some rocks where we had an awesome view on Marmaris by night. After drinking a bottle of wine and philosophizing about society and stuff for several hours we went back to the cave. Very tired but with a new number one of cool places where I've slept, the sound of dropping water made me fall asleep soon....
The next morning we packed our stuff and hid the backpacks somewhere in the forrest beside the cave. Brendan read on a sign that that cave is the highest point on the island so for breakfast we wanted to get to the top. The view was perfect again and on the way back we saw some tortoises and big spiders crawling around the forrest. The following 40 minutes we were walking along the small dirt road into the direction of the coast. On the way there was a car driving into the same direction. They wanted to explore the island just like we and they gave us a ride untill the road was getting too bad for the car. We went on walking and they turned back and after a while I found a part in the forrest which was not too steep to go down to the sea. It was a long and difficult way anyway and I can't count how many times I nearly fell down but in the end I always catched myself and we came out of the forrest on a small hidden beach which people normally only reach by boat. This time we were very lucky because there was a small boat achoring just in front of the beach so Brendan went into the water to ask the guy on it if he can give us a ride back to Marmaris. (...)

 

----------------------------------------------------------

Read more travel stories, collect informations about low-budget travelling and see where I am at the moment on:

www.timeless-travelling.com

Tags: boat hitchhiking, camping, cave, hitchhiking, marmaris, sleeping in a cave, turkey

About timeless-travelling


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.