Existing Member?

Tim and Sam... ...will be out of the office until further notice.

Love Thy Neighbour

INDIA | Thursday, 22 November 2007 | Views [739]

As Tim described in the previous blog entry, Hampi is a lovely peaceful place on the banks of a river with intricately carved temples and a boulder strewn landscape. No cars are allowed into the central bazaar area, adding to the laid back, traveller paradise. Our guest house was very pleasant, the room was lovely and clean with en suite bathroom, mosquito net, ceiling fan and solar back-up. We even had occasional hot water (although not, admittedly, when we were trying to shower). The neighbours, however, left a little to be desired. On the left was Screechy Lady who seemed to be training up her screechy children. She sounded a little like that voice that can be heard on the telephone in old cartoons (Tom & Jerry maybe?). On the right our neighbour had recently acquired a new television and to make sure everybody knew about said television he would open all the doors and windows and turn the volume up as loud as possible. All of this would begin every morning at around 06:00 and continue until about 22:00 or 23:00.

The situation was explained to us by the owner of our guest house. Apparently his neighbour with the television was jealous at the success of his new guest house and was being unusually loud in an effort to drive away the guests.

Not only this, but Mr New Television and Screechy Lady were apparently feuding (which explains a lot of the shouting, all day). According to our source, Mr New Television had been carring out some home improvements and had recently built his family a brand new toilet... in Screechy Lady's back garden.

Amusing.

Tags: People

About tim_and_sam


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.