Existing Member?

Tim and Sam... ...will be out of the office until further notice.

Hampi

INDIA | Sunday, 18 November 2007 | Views [730] | Comments [2]

Lakshmi having a bath, Hampi.

Lakshmi having a bath, Hampi.

We left Mumbai from Dadar Street, on the overnight train to Hubli (broadgauge rails, 2nd class AC sleeper car for Dave's benefit). For once things were running to time and we had a pleasant journey watching the landscape change from brown plains to lush green tropics. We arrived in Hubli around lunchtime and were lucky enough to connect with a late running onward train. The days of Indians travelling on the roof of trains are over and as we had no reservation we were in the unreserved carriage. As the train pulled into the station we joined the jostling crowd. I was getting ready for the charge when Sam came flying in to make a bid for the door, merrily elbowing old ladies out of the way as she went. Once the dust settled we found that the land rush had been successful and we had won a couple of hard, wooden seats. Those who were slower off the mark climbed up onto the luggage racks and went to sleep.

We are now in Hampi, which is a wonderful place. I can't quite figure out the geology of the area, but the landscape is littered with gigantic, smooth, granite boulders through which numerous rivers and streams flow. The whole area is covered with coconut palms, banana trees and the ruined temples, bazaars and palaces of an old spice trading empire. The town centre is very small and laid back and we have spent several lazy days wandering around the temples and sitting by the river. A highlight was meeting the town's sacred elephant, Lakshmi. If you place a 1 rupee coin in the end of her trunk she will pass it to her handler and bless you with a thump on the head.

Next stop is Wayanad National Park, where we will dust of the hiking boots and head off on some wildlife walks and maybe a jeep safari. They say there are tigers. Hopefully we'll get to see them. From the jeep.

Tags: Sightseeing

Comments

1

AC - you posh gits, get back to sleeper class where you belong.

before you leave hampi, make sure you cross the river (are those corracle guys still there?) hire a bike at the other side and cycle up the road to the lake - it's really nice. and you can swim in it

  dave Nov 18, 2007 11:37 PM

2

Just a note to say I'm still keeping up, oh and am still quite jealous .. apart from the dicky tummy bit

  Duncan Robetson Nov 19, 2007 4:58 AM

About tim_and_sam


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.