Existing Member?

Chasing a Dream - Part I "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I— I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference" - Robert Frost

Tallinn, Estonia

ESTONIA | Sunday, 1 May 2016 | Views [275]

Tallinn, Estonia

Tallinn, Estonia

I arrived into Tallinn Estonia in the late afternoon to rather disappointing weather. It was raining hard and was quite a bit cooler than London had been. Too tired to deal with the public bus, I paid the 10 euros for a taxi to the hotel. I was a day early for the Tucan Baltic’s tour, and as a matter of convenience had booked the same hotel as the tour accommodation. However, in hindsight I would have been much better off booking elsewhere in the area of Old Town. The hotel (Tatari 53) was located at the end of an unappealing alley and was basic in the extreme. The worst being the cold rooms. At first I thought the radiator was broken as it was turned to the max but the metal remained cool. However, after switching rooms I discovered it was the same, the radiator being merely a decorative piece. Since it was late in the day and being so cold I decided not to venture out and explore the town.

I was thrilled the next morning to find the skies clear and the sun shining brightly. I spent the whole of the day exploring the medieval charms of the Old Town, and was regretting my decision to not go out the night before. Encircled by an ancient crumbling wall, the narrow cobbled streets are filled with quaint shops and open aired cafes, bustling with activity. Leave the map behind and instead wander about the twisting alleys; no matter how lost you may seem, you are sure to eventually wind your way back to the main plaza. I stopped for lunch at Troika, choosing traditional potato dumplings, which came in a delicious clear broth and was served with a creamy and sour yogurt, and a large mug of local draft beer. Here I sat back and enjoyed the sun and people watching in the plaza.

After lunch I went in search of a spa and was surprised to come across quite a few gentlemens spas offering “erotic massages”. Worried I might accidentally stumble into one of these, I went to the tourist office and asked for a recommendation for a reputable place. I was directed to Kalev Hotel and Spa which was located right in the Old Town. They had a large swimming facility with jacuzzis, and both wet and dry saunas, and happened to be running a special for a 1hr aromatherapy massage for only 28 euro! I spent a pleasant few hours at the spa before rushing back to the hotel to meet with the Tucan Tour. It was a large and diverse group of people I would be traveling with for the next few weeks and I looked forward to making new friends.

Tags: tallinn

About tiltingwindmills


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Estonia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.