Existing Member?

Chasing a Dream - Part I "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I— I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference" - Robert Frost

Kili or bust

TANZANIA | Monday, 22 February 2016 | Views [324]

Just landed this afternoon into the sweltering heat of Tanzania; after subzero temps in Iceland and rain in Paris and Brussels, sun and sweat was a welcomed change. It was much as I expected it to be: a single long runway in the middle of a desert plain. The heat had created too much haze to see Kilimanjaro, but I'm hoping to catch a glimpse in the cool of tomorrow morning. After a bumpy ride into to Arusha, I was delivered to the hotel; a manicured tourist oasis surrounded by shanties and huts. Though in strange contrast everyone seemed to have cell phones.

There was a group meeting in the garden with the guide from Climb Kili and the five other climbers in my group. We set out early tomorrow for our 8 day climb for Uhuru Peak via the Lemosho route. It's a nice mix of ages and climbing in a small group will be a nice way to share the experience. I choose Lemosho because it is purported to have the nicest scenery, is less frequented than the main Meru route, and has one of the best acclimatization profiles. I want to summit, but I also want to enjoy the hike itself and not have it just be about getting to the top as quick as possible. I've done some high altitude trekking before in Nepal to Everest Base Camp but that was over a much longer time frame, though more nights were spent at higher altitudes. I've brought Diamox, but I'm hoping to not have to use it. Keeping hydrated and warm will be the key.

I'll be switching to analog mode for my blog (thats pen and paper for you millennials) for the next 8 days, so I'll catch you all on the flip side!

Tags: kilimanjaro

About tiltingwindmills


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.